Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa 11.0 Support Lands In Ubuntu 15.10

Phoronix: Mesa 11.0 Support Lands In Ubuntu 15.10

Mesa 11.0 has landed within Ubuntu 15.10 for providing the latest open-source graphics drivers, primarily with exciting updates for the Intel, Radeon, and DRM drivers...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Christ on a bike, that was quick. It's still in the testing repo in Arch.

Comment

Any know when in mesa I can use OpenGL 4.0/4.1 in my HD5850 gpu?

Comment

I'd like LLVM 3.7 to be added to Ubuntu 15.10 for mesa compilation, but sadly the llvm i386 version packaging is in a sad state since April...

Comment

Originally posted by jsa1983 View Post
          I'd like LLVM 3.7 to be added to Ubuntu 15.10 for mesa compilation, but sadly the llvm i386 version packaging is in a sad state since April...

Yeah. Looks like the i386 is the only thing stopping LLVM 3.7 to be the standard mesa build.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post

Yeah. Looks like the i386 is the only thing stopping LLVM 3.7 to be the standard mesa build.
            I'm a bit out of the loop with these things. What is it about the i386 packaging that's stopping LLVM 3.7 adoption?

Also, would any kind genius here be able to make a PPA that builds Mesa 11 against LLVm 3.7 for Ubuntu? I've got Oibaf, but it's on LLVM 3.6. Paulo Dias's PPA only supports Ubuntu 14.10, so I'm out of luck. I'm certain a great many of us would appreciate it. I've been trying to learn how to build a .deb package for Launchpad, but I'm really slow at these kinds of things.

Comment

toghether 4.2 kernel this news is the big hit That's amazing!

Comment

Originally posted by sabun View Post

I'm a bit out of the loop with these things. What is it about the i386 packaging that's stopping LLVM 3.7 adoption?

Also, would any kind genius here be able to make a PPA that builds Mesa 11 against LLVm 3.7 for Ubuntu? I've got Oibaf, but it's on LLVM 3.6. Paulo Dias's PPA only supports Ubuntu 14.10, so I'm out of luck. I'm certain a great many of us would appreciate it. I've been trying to learn how to build a .deb package for Launchpad, but I'm really slow at these kinds of things.

In this context, i386 = 32bits. If they build mesa against LLVM 3.7, it will be able to work only with 64bits programs. Steam and a lot of its games are 32bits only. So the opensource drivers will be unable to work with Steam. And the 32bits spin of Ubuntu will have to use a older version of LLVM, creating packaging problems.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post

In this context, i386 = 32bits. If they build mesa against LLVM 3.7, it will be able to work only with 64bits programs. Steam and a lot of its games are 32bits only. So the opensource drivers will be unable to work with Steam. And the 32bits spin of Ubuntu will have to use a older version of LLVM, creating packaging problems.
                  So, the 32bit version of LLVM 3.7 can't be packaged/won't be? Thanks for the quick reply.

Comment

Originally posted by sabun View Post

So, the 32bit version of LLVM 3.7 can't be packaged/won't be? Thanks for the quick reply.
                    There is a problem with ubuntu's config (or the package files) that makes the compilation or the package building fail since April. At first it was also affecting Debian (most of Ubuntu's config files come from Debian), but Debian unstable has been getting LLVM-3.8 builds lately (http://llvm-jenkins.debian.net/view/Debian%20unstable/). So I'm not sure what the real problem is. The thing is that for Ubuntu 15.10 there is a LLVM 3.7 package (https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source...1:3.7-1ubuntu1) but the version shipped for i386 (i.e. also 32 bit packages for 64 bit Ubuntus) is greatly outdated. Thus mesa with LLVM 3.7 would be up-to-date for 64 bit but very outdated for 32 bit.

I hope I've made myself clear enough.
                    Last edited by jsa1983; 23 September 2015, 01:34 PM. Reason: Typo

Comment

Working...
                    X