Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nginx Web Server Announces nginScript

Phoronix: Nginx Web Server Announces nginScript

Developers behind the high-performance Nginx web server project have announced nginScript, a JavaScript-derived scripting language to do more with this open-source web server...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Hmm.

I really love Nginx and JavaScript, but this looks really horrible to be honest.
    The combination most likely have real potential, but I think they totally messed that up with this.

Comment

Not sure if this is a cool feature?

I mean, soon you'll find blogs or bulletin boards implemented completely in nginScript? If you think you need a turing complete scripting language for your web server config, you are probably doing it wrong.

Comment

This is very, very good news.

"Configuration by script" is a concept that I embed in all my products. Rather than an obscure configuration language unique to your product, give admins the ability to have a dynamic config file using a well-known language.

The configuration is only read upon startup and when it's updated, so there are no performance issues. It's all about convenience, and it's very convenient. For those who don't need the dynamism, this doesn't change much of anything.

I hope more and more projects adopt this philosophy.

Comment

Originally posted by Isedonde View Post
          Not sure if this is a cool feature…

I mean, soon you'll find blogs or bulletin boards implemented completely in nginScript? If you think you need a turing complete scripting language for your web server config, you are probably doing it wrong.
          It's less about outputing stuff to the user and more about making the entire configuration of the server dynamic. I don't think the scripting language will be turing complete, and will mostly be used to write extensions to nginx to allow it to do more complex things without too much effort on the developer's part.

Comment

Originally posted by Isedonde View Post
            and
            Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post
            It's less about outputing stuff to the user and more about making the entire configuration of the server dynamic. I don't think the scripting language will be turing complete, and will mostly be used to write extensions to nginx to allow it to do more complex things without too much effort on the developer's part.
            Actually, both.

According to the linked block entry, you end up with 2 new commands:
            • Code:
              js_set
              which is used to programmatically set configuration variable and can be used to make the configuration dynamic
            • Code:
              js_run
              which can be used to run javascript to answer to some request - this definitely enables having a whole bulletin board written in nginScript

Comment

Working...
            X