Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mir Is Making Measurable Progress On Using Libinput

Phoronix: Mir Is Making Measurable Progress On Using Libinput

Ubuntu developers working on Mir have been making measurable progress recently on using libinput for their input handling, similar to Wayland and in the X.Org world where libinput is also being used via the xf86-input-libinput driver...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Wow, a triple mouse, I wonder what it's used for.

Comment

Wow, IIRC they started MIR due to the fact they were not satisfied with Wayland input system. And now they share the same. What an irony

Comment

Originally posted by anarsoul View Post
        Wow, IIRC they started MIR due to the fact they were not satisfied with Wayland input system. And now they share the same. What an irony
        As with most projects Canonical starts on their own - they always back down eventually.

Comment

I bought an Ubuntu phone this fall. The BQ Aquaris E5 HD.

I use the Ubuntu operating system for my desktop and laptop. I dont mind the Ubuntu desktop with Unity, but I prefer the Gnome Ubuntu desktop.

But Guys.... Forget about Ubuntu phone and Mir. It's hopeless.
          They have had many years now, to deliver a what they have. And i am sorry to say, but my Ubuntu phone is unusable.
          Oh why Canonical.... Why did you use so much time and effort on Mir?

Performance is terrible. User interface is sluggish like Android was in the beginning. And considering that Canonical have had full control of their entire display stack, it is just so depressing to see what it is delivering.

You could have used Wayland like Jolla did with Sailfish and gotten a perfectly well performing user interface.
          No body is going to recommend this mobile OS to their friends. And no body is going to make apps for this phone.

I have made solutions at my workplace with Ubuntu server and will still recommend it. I will continue to use Ubuntu on my personal computers. I love Ubuntu. So I hope that this message can be used to get Canonical back on track.

Comment

cool story canonical, but not so cool...

why not wayland / weston ?

An obvious clarification first: Wayland is a bla bla bla bla ... input event handling and a rough bla bla bla .... However, our evaluation bla bla bla bla ... does not meet our requirements bla bla bla ... aiming for a more extensible input event .... like 3D input devices ... Wayland's input event .... introduced by X's input event .... think that the handling of input .... bla bla..... input, input, input..... troubles, troubles, troibles canonical

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
              As with most projects Canonical starts on their own - they always back down eventually.

I think you mean something along the lines of

As with most projects Canonical end up doing by themselves
              which is true for most people anyways. Either they stop, change, or enlist help. Why use a - screw when a + doesn't slip?

Comment

Canonical simply is too small too slow and tries to do too many things many of which they don't have any experience with and often throw away good code to do everything new from scratch (Unity 7 and Gnome core apps, LightDM etc.).

Comment

Originally posted by profoundWHALE View Post

I think you mean something along the lines of

which is true for most people anyways. Either they stop, change, or enlist help. Why use a - screw when a + doesn't slip?
                  To be fair, the Phillips-head (+) screw is designed to cam out (slip) when torque reaches a certain point. It was a workaround for dumb assembly machines in decades past.

These days, that behaviour is undesired which is why smart carpenters use Robertson-head (■) screws and electronics are generally assembled using Torx or Pozidrive.

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post
                    These days, that behaviour is undesired which is why smart carpenters use Robertson-head (■) screws and electronics are generally assembled using Torx or Pozidrive.
                    I thought that Robertertson (actually I thought it was Robinson) was a Canada only thing? Pretty usefull three size, colour coded handle thing going for it as well.

Comment

Working...
                    X