Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OpenBSD Adds Intel Broadwell Graphics Support

Phoronix: OpenBSD Adds Intel Broadwell Graphics Support

The latest OpenBSD kernel finally adds support for Broadwell graphics while Skylake support is still a ways out for this BSD operating system...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    The latest OpenBSD kernel finally adds support
    So Michael is continuing with condescending words like "finally", obviously implying he believes OpenBSD is very late in implementing support (clearing putting Linux as the gold standard). I again suggest just omitting the word. It would read as "The latest OpenBSD kernel adds support for Broadwell graphics, but Skylake support is still a ways out for this BSD operating system..." which is fine and leaves his personal opinions out of it.

Before somebody says "It's just a blog", Michael seems to earn a living from this site, which makes him a professional journalist. I just wish the articles were worded that way...

Comment

Gotta agree with you on that, "finally" is the wrong word, especially since OpenBSD got a lot better with driver support recently, apart from all the other important work they do.

Comment

This is great and I'm happy to hear it, but I wonder if we will ever see Braswell (Cherryview) support in OpenBSD given it's a bit of a niche (and new) product? Granted, it's not even fully supported in any Linux distro yet so I know it will be a while either way, but it would be nice to know if anyone is at least working on it. I'd love to, but I'm not a programmer, much less a driver/kernel hacker.

Comment

Hi Yall,

thanks again for the heads up Michael & hope your foot is healing well! :-)

PacRim, OpenBSD is 104 weeks, 24 months late to the Broadwell Party. That is just a fact. If you were a Broadwell user, that blocker would be a tad loathsome.

Personally, I am blocked in moving back to FreeBSD by no Radeon R9 2/390X support. Again, it has been some very long time since Linux has had this support & The BSD's lag....My reason for jumping off the Linux OS after some years of use is SystemMD "etc/security/Pottering-virus/sabotage." Of course, The BSD's don't have the huge corporate input Tux has, so back to Tux for a loathsome while longer. :-/

I am waiting for Michael's heads up, so I can install FreeBSD "finally...." ;-)

GreekGeek.

Comment

Originally posted by GreekGeek View Post
            My reason for jumping off the Linux OS after some years of use is SystemMD "etc/security/Pottering-virus/sabotage." Of course, The BSD's don't have the huge corporate input Tux has, so back to Tux for a loathsome while longer. :-/
            You can always try Slackware or Crux if you want to avoid systemd during your stay on Linux; those are more BSD-like Linuxes anyway. They aren't bleeding edge distros but, well...neither are the BSDs.

Comment

Originally posted by Pacific Rim View Post

So Michael is continuing with condescending words like "finally", obviously implying he believes OpenBSD is very late in implementing support (clearing putting Linux as the gold standard). I again suggest just omitting the word. It would read as "The latest OpenBSD kernel adds support for Broadwell graphics, but Skylake support is still a ways out for this BSD operating system..." which is fine and leaves his personal opinions out of it.

Before somebody says "It's just a blog", Michael seems to earn a living from this site, which makes him a professional journalist. I just wish the articles were worded that way...
              That doesn't change the fact that OpenBSD is still took 2 years to add Broadwell graphics and even then, they are still behind because now only Skylake matters and Broadwell is out of date. I applaud Micheal for highlighting that fact.

Originally posted by GreekGeek
              Personally, I am blocked in moving back to FreeBSD by no Radeon R9 2/390X support. Again, it has been some very long time since Linux has had this support & The BSD's lag....My reason for jumping off the Linux OS after some years of use is SystemMD "etc/security/Pottering-virus/sabotage."
              First of, if you don't like systemd, I suggest you should just stop using a computer because systemd is needed for modern laptop, desktop and server system management and UNIX was never a great concept.

Even if BSD were updated on graphics drivers, they would still full of other crap like giant locks, poor package management, mailing list people are trolls, lack of driver support, lack of software, software that is available is out of date and full of bugs, separation of base and packages which makes administration a cluster fsck, no modern security features like ASLR, stack protection and MAC and "devs" that are less committed to the OS development then Steve Ballmer is to the usability of Windows.

Of course, The BSD's don't have the huge corporate input Tux has, so back to Tux for a loathsome while longer. :-/

I am waiting for Michael's heads up, so I can install FreeBSD "finally...." ;-)
              BSD's cannot lie about lack of corp backing or funding. All they only have is poor project management and fsck up project politics and it will not get better.

Comment

Originally posted by jake_lesser View Post
                First of, if you don't like systemd, I suggest you should just stop using a computer because systemd is needed for modern laptop, desktop and server system management and UNIX was never a great concept.
                Well, Unix is the most successful widespread OS out there, from the 1960s so it is very much a great concept. Several modern top notch OSes are Unixes, or Unix derivatives.

Even if BSD were updated on graphics drivers, they would still full of other crap like giant locks, poor package management, mailing list people are trolls, lack of driver support, lack of software, software that is available is out of date and full of bugs, separation of base and packages which makes administration a cluster fsck, no modern security features like ASLR, stack protection and MAC and "devs" that are less committed to the OS development then Steve Ballmer is to the usability of Windows.
                Luckily for us, Linux is in much better shape than OpenBSD:

[/QUOTE]BSD's cannot lie about lack of corp backing or funding. All they only have is poor project management and fsck up project politics and it will not get better.[/QUOTE]
                Luckily for us, Linux management is much better:

Comment

Actually, systemd is UNIX done right.

A bunch of badly written, barely intercommunicating software the kind systemd haters are clinging to isn't UNIX. It's Windows 1.0. In all it's DOSy glory.

Comment

It is sad, that some people have to desperately try to catch up in graphics, just in order to try to build a system, that isn't as broken as Linux is. Even though BSD is apparently more broken, the attempt to build a non-broken system (even if failed) is good and honorable. One bearer of hope is Genode OS, which brings Security and Reliability.

What Linux has become is just "Windows from another Company". There is no difference. And systemd is just like a castrated Windows service manager.

Linux has slowly become Windows-lite...Except for the lite part.

Comment

Working...
                    X