Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa 11's First Point Release Is Now Available

Phoronix: Mesa 11's First Point Release Is Now Available

For those not courageous enough to be riding Mesa Git for the very latest open-source graphics driver features, Mesa 11.0.1 was released this morning as the latest stable build...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Mesa 11.0 is still not available in the official Arch Linux repositories. Does anyone know why? Arch used to be pretty fast. I notice that Arch's linux kernel is currently stuck at 4.1.6, as well.

Comment

Originally posted by jf33 View Post
      Mesa 11.0 is still not available in the official Arch Linux repositories.
      It's in [testing]. And it's been the usual MO for the past few mesa releases that it won't move from there until the first point release. The point release is now here, so expect it in [extra] in the next few days. Also, moving mesa needs to be coordinated with moving llvm, issues there can slow things down, and currently there actually are some issues to be resolved with the llvm package.
      Last edited by Gusar; 26 September 2015, 12:49 PM.

Comment

Mesa 11.0 is still not available in the official Arch Linux repositories. Does anyone know why? Arch used to be pretty fast. I notice that Arch's linux kernel is currently stuck at 4.1.6, as well.
        Major software updates (Mesa, Kernel, systemd, glib, etc) get stuck in testing for about two weeks at least, and at most until a point release fixes some critical bug they find.

Point releases or minor version revisions would get pushed much faster.

Comment

At least they are in testing finally (for my Carrizo system, I need linux4.2+mesa11 - it was an odyssey to build llvm+mesa from git), which means I can go from git to testing repo

Comment

Originally posted by CrystalGamma View Post

At least they are in testing finally (for my Carrizo system, I need linux4.2+mesa11 - it was an odyssey to build llvm+mesa from git), which means I can go from git to testing repo
            There is a mesa-git repo that has both llvm and mesa, updated quite frequently. It doesn't give you mainline kernel, but it's quite good for everything else.

Comment

There is a fix needed for VDPAU in mesa. Even a HD 4650 reports HEVC support. Waiting for next release...

Comment

whoa nice one.
                mesa 11 and llvm 3.7 hit opensuse tumbleweed two days ago.
                today I tested bioshok infinite on radeonSI with HD7950 and core2quad 3ghz.
                Now it finally works cause it requested openGL 4.1
                And it works better than expected. On very high preset fullHD it is almost playable, at least much better than the witcher 2 which is also a VP EON port.
                witcher 2 with ultra settings (without ubersampling it just looks horrible) sits at a constant 15 fps. Infinite jumps between 15 and 50 fps. 15 fps only when there are too many lights and big scenes. So maybe another mesa and llvm release and I might play it through
                plenty of other games to play since then.

Comment

I tried out these new MESA drivers with my r9 390x, results in persistent crashing. In the short period of time that the desktop works however, it runs decent. In fact, pretty sure even the older drivers caused this crashing or glitches also.

Guess its just another waiting game for AMD users, nothing new.

Comment

Originally posted by theriddick View Post
                    I tried out these new MESA drivers with my r9 390x, results in persistent crashing. In the short period of time that the desktop works however, it runs decent. In fact, pretty sure even the older drivers caused this crashing or glitches also.
                    Is it normal desktop use that crashes or only specific games ? When you say "crash" do you mean segfault or GPU lockup or ???

You mentioned "crashing or glitches" which are very different things; could you please put more detail into a ticket at http://bugs.freedesktop.org under Mesa / radeonsi ?

Thanks !
                    Last edited by bridgman; 01 October 2015, 11:42 AM.
                    Test signature

Comment

Working...
                    X