Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two X.Org Vintage Drivers Finally Ship With X Server 1.17 Support

Phoronix: Two X.Org Vintage Drivers Finally Ship With X Server 1.17 Support

X.Org Server 1.17 was released back in February while finally today two X.Org DDX drivers are finally shipping xorg-server 1.17 support in released form...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

C&T died in 1997 (was bought by Intel, is this what lead to the GMA series?), there top model would just barely be able to run 1024x768 in full color mode...
    Last edited by AJenbo; 26 September 2015, 08:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by AJenbo View Post
      C&T died in 1997 (was bought by Intel, is this what lead to the GMA series?), there top model would just barely be able to run 1024x768 in full color mode...
      I'm pretty sure Intel bought them just to eliminate their x86 license, but they did jointly develop the i740 for Lockheed Martin, after which is when Intel bought them. Lockheed need a chip capable of running their simulator.

Last edited by duby229; 26 September 2015, 08:40 PM.

Comment

I love reading about projects like this. I wish I could learn this. I'd take the time to write drivers... but maybe I don't know what it really envolves.

Comment

Originally posted by zuur View Post
          I love reading about projects like this. I wish I could learn this. I'd take the time to write drivers... but maybe I don't know what it really envolves.
          It involves a lot of trial and error and reading some obscure documents, it's actually not that hard in the end as long as you can program (any language pretty much) to a resonable degree. My only advice is to give it a shot. I would my self if i had the time

Comment

Originally posted by zuur View Post
            It requires a lot of trial and error and reading some obsucre documents. It's actually not that hard as long as you can program resonably well (any language prettymuch). My best advice is to try. I would do it my self if I had the time
            If you don't know how to program then then start learning how to do some applications in C, there are tons of tutorials out there.

Comment

So can we expect benchmarks?

Sorry couldn't help myself.

Comment

Originally posted by nslay View Post
                So can we expect benchmarks?
                If I manage to dig my old s3virge from its resting place... ;-)

Comment

Working...
                X