Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu Is Doing A UI Makeover To Their Installer / Setup Process

Phoronix: Ubuntu Is Doing A UI Makeover To Their Installer / Setup Process

Canonical's design team has been working on redoing the user-interface to the Ubiquity installer that also converges with the setup wizard for Ubuntu Phones...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I look forward to this. With how often I install Ubuntu on computers, making the installer UI easier whilst also giving it a little eye-candy is most welcome

Comment

The problem with any designers is that most of them favor design over usability which is a recipe for fucking things up. Gnome's been doing this and then reverting back because the masses "who don't understand them" demanded. Windows 10 scaled back on the metro on the standard PC because of the same issue - they let designers do the decisions and then users told them they're morons because they fucked up usability in favor of fashion.

Whatever Canonical does - I hope they put a guy in charge who cares more about usability and can/will override anything the designers invent.

As a dev I noticed that users appreciate design changes only in the short term, but in the mid and long term they care a lot more about usability than design.
      Last edited by mark45; 28 September 2015, 02:39 PM.

Comment

I wish they'd do a makeover of Unity...

Comment

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
          The problem with any designers is that most of them favor design over usability which is a recipe for fucking things up. Gnome's been doing this and then reverting back because the masses "who don't understand them" demanded. Windows 10 scaled back on the metro on the standard PC because of the same issue - they let designers do the decisions and then users told them they're morons because they fucked up usability in favor of fashion.

Whatever Canonical does - I hope they put a guy in charge who cares more about usability and can/will override anything the designers invent.

As a dev I noticed that users appreciate design changes only in the short term, but in the mid and long term they care a lot more about usability than design.
          It, like most other things, requires a combination of approaches, and moderation go those approaches. Let the designer take it to the extreme and it will be over-engineered. Let the developer have full control and every single control knob possible will be exposed and it will have the UI of a pre-CSS webpage.
          All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by mao_dze_dun View Post
            Don't use it if you don't like it.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post

Yea, I like Ubuntu, but hate Unity - so I use Kubuntu. Wily Werewolf is a beautiful release for the Kubuntu side.

Comment

They are: Unity 8

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post

But I like it overall, that's the thing. It feels the most polished in general (along Pantheon, I guess) but the Unity bar is really idiotic and Cannonical's persistence in not listening to their customers is absolutely staggering. I know they wish they were Microsoft or Google, but since they're just a blimp on the OS map I'd think they'd be a bit more open to their userbase.

Comment

But I like it overall, that's the thing. It feels the most polished in general (along Pantheon, I guess) but the Unity bar is really idiotic and Cannonical's persistence in not listening to their customers is absolutely staggering. I know they wish they were Microsoft or Google, but since they're just a blimp on the OS map I'd think they'd be a bit more open to their userbase.

Even Microsoft pedaled back on the Start Menu.

Comment

Working...
                    X