Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alien Isolation Has Been Delayed For Linux

Phoronix: Alien Isolation Has Been Delayed For Linux

If you woke up this morning expecting to play Alien: Isolation with today being the expected release date for OS X and Linux, Feral Interactive has unfortunately had to push back the release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It may only be supported for Nvidia GPUs, but as of yesterday, mesa 11 hit the standard/main repo in Arch, no git AUR required. So I'm all ready to have a go on this on the RadeonSI driver.

It's one of the few games that's hit Linux that I don't already have in my library from some Steam sale at some point in the past. I shall be buying and playing on Linux. So, for once, I can send my money Feral's way. Even it it's a wreck, I don't mind, I always have the option of playing it on Windows.

Comment

Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post
      It may only be supported for Nvidia GPUs, but as of yesterday, mesa 11 hit the standard/main repo in Arch, no git AUR required. So I'm all ready to have a go on this on the RadeonSI driver.

It's one of the few games that's hit Linux that I don't already have in my library from some Steam sale at some point in the past. I shall be buying and playing on Linux. So, for once, I can send my money Feral's way. Even it it's a wreck, I don't mind, I always have the option of playing it on Windows.
      I suggest that you buy it from the feral store, so that way you know they get directly the money, also I found less expensive on feral store with dlc when I bought Shadow of Mordor than steam. (I believe was a couple of dollars cheaper).

Comment

High standards = nvidia only LOL
        ## VGA ##
        AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
        Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
          +1

Bad catalyst driver or not .. there are too many applications which manage it quite well.
          And a port ignoring this platform specific issues is a bad port.

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post

Well... I kinda agree with them. The AMD driver is very, very far from the word "quality".

If AMD could just release a driver that make sense, maybe they will match higher standard of quality such as these developers.
            I put all my hopes on the new AMDGPU and thier new open source strategy.

Comment

haha that is funny, They should say at less what are the resaon they cannot make it with AMD Hardware, at less that will Help to understand what is the problem to release it on that hardware.

Comment

Originally posted by gufide View Post

If AMD could just release a driver that make sense, maybe they will match higher standard of quality such as these developers.
                I put all my hopes on the new AMDGPU and thier new open source strategy.
                The High Quality driver AMD is working on is called RadeonSI

Comment

Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post

AFAIK You also have an option to return it on Steam if you were playing lessthen 2h.

+1

Comment

Originally posted by boxie View Post

The High Quality driver AMD is working on is called RadeonSI

As soon as this driver supports OpenGL 4.5 and offers speed similar to drivers we can see on windows, yeah!

There's currently no way to get an AMD card on linux to go as fast as on windows. This is sad and currently a part of that that prevent game developers to "officially" support the game on AMD.

In a couple of mesa (and AMDGPU) versions we might be able to run it without too much error/artifact/performance loss.

Comment

Working...
                    X