No announcement yet.

Ubuntu To Make It Easier To Ship Micro-Release Updates, New Features Post-LTS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu To Make It Easier To Ship Micro-Release Updates, New Features Post-LTS

Phoronix: Ubuntu To Make It Easier To Ship Micro-Release Updates, New Features Post-LTS

Generally Ubuntu Linux hasn't allowed new minor point releases of software to be sent down as stable release updates (SRUs) once the Ubuntu release ships, but there's been many exceptions, and now Ubuntu's Technical Board has agreed to make changes to make it easier to send down micro-release updates as well as offering new features to existing LTS (Long-Term Support) releases...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Does this mean we can get php5.5 or later on ubuntu 12.04 ?

Comment

Originally posted by paulf
      As long as they have the QA capacity for all the changes. Given that the hardware enablement stack for 14.04 is still broken I am not sure they can handle this volume of packaging.

broken? i upgrade a machine from kernel 3.13 mesa 10.1 to vivid stack two weeks ago

Comment

Originally posted by andre30correia View Post
        broken? i upgrade a machine from kernel 3.13 mesa 10.1 to vivid stack two weeks ago
        Do you can install VirtualBox, Skype, Steam from system repository without rolling back kernel or graphics stack?

Comment

Originally posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post
          Do you can install VirtualBox, Skype, Steam from system repository without rolling back kernel or graphics stack?
          Steam: yes* (you need to install the newer versions of the needed libs, if it wants lib-something:arch install lib-something-lts-vivid:arch if using the vivid HWE-stack)
          Virtualbox: not from system repository...
          Last edited by JonathanM; 30 September 2015, 04:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by JonathanM View Post
            Steam: yes* (you need to install the newer versions of the needed libs, if it wants lib-something:arch install lib-something-lts-vivid:arch if using the vivid HWE-stack)
            One click installation from Ubuntu Software Center works? Maybe it's do right thing automatically, can you please check it?

Comment

Originally posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post
              One click installation from Ubuntu Software Center works? Maybe it's do right thing automatically, can you please check it?
              On my 14.04 steam installed, but when I launched it for the first time it presented a popup window: it wanted me to install a bunch of mesa libraries like libegl1-mesa-glx:i386 which is incorrect if you're using a newer kernel and graphics stack in the case of libegl1-mesa-glx:i386 I needed to install libegl1-mesa-glx-lts-vivid:i386. After installing all vivid versions of the requested libraries steam functioned just fine. This is what I did a few weeks back, it could have changed, but I fear that installing steam still isnt a foolproof proces for those using a newer HWE stack.

Comment

Originally posted by bulletxt View Post
                Does this mean we can get php5.5 or later on ubuntu 12.04 ?

Sadly (for you) no. This only affects the version number after the 5.5.*. Upgrade already!

Comment

Originally posted by nils_ View Post

Sadly (for you) no. This only affects the version number after the 5.5.*. Upgrade already!
                  What for? This is all he needs: PPA for PHP 5.5

Comment

Working...
                  X