Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SMPlayer 15.9 Brings MPV Support, 3D Stereo Filter

Phoronix: SMPlayer 15.9 Brings MPV Support, 3D Stereo Filter

SMPlayer, a popular Qt front-end to MPlayer, is out with a new version that adds a variety of new features...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Terribly ugly UI.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      Terribly ugly UI.
      Yeah, it's very old looking, from the windows-2000 era.

Comment

"semi popular mpv"
        seriously?
        mpv is much better / faster / reliable than mplayer or even vlc here on opensuse
        Maybe it is not as popular, but it should be.
        How did you "measure" the popularity?

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
          Terribly ugly UI.
          Terribly ugly UI which work smoothly, easily and intuitively. It's a video player, don't need any fancy UI which just breaks staff. There is a reason Media Player Classic is still popular in Windows user.

Comment

Originally posted by tomtomme View Post
            "semi popular mpv"
            seriously?
            mpv is much better / faster / reliable than mplayer or even vlc here on opensuse
            Maybe it is not as popular, but it should be.
            How did you "measure" the popularity?
            I was about to comment on this. MPV is technically superior in almost every way to both MPlayer and MPlayer2, and in some ways to VLC. And if you're in some of the same communities I am, I've found MPV to be way more popular than I once thought.

As for the UI, I've found that pretty much every video player ever has a terrible UI. VLC, MPC, SMP, even totem and Dragon and there seems to be nothing good themes can do to fix them all.

Comment

Originally posted by Tiger_Coder View Post
              Terribly ugly UI which work smoothly, easily and intuitively. It's a video player, don't need any fancy UI which just breaks staff. There is a reason Media Player Classic is still popular in Windows user.

THIS. Cannot say it better than you did.

Comment

MPV is excellent dumped MPlayer the moment it stablized.

Comment

MPV does't have implemented a slave mode for DVB. No DVB is playable on SMplayer.

Comment

Originally posted by pjezek View Post
                    MPV does't have implemented a slave mode for DVB. No DVB is playable on SMplayer.
                    Slave mode was a terrible way of going about things. mpv got rid of that in favor of a JSON interface and a client API. SMplayer should stop treating mpv as if it's mplayer (it's not) and use one of those instead. I'm not aware of any frontend using the JSON interface, but there are players out there that use the client API such a baka-mplayer and gnome-mpv.

Comment

Working...
                    X