Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Announces PRO A-Series Carrizo APUs

Phoronix: AMD Announces PRO A-Series Carrizo APUs

AMD has announced that their new PRO A-Series processors have begun to ship. The PRO A-Series is based on Carrizo...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

From the announcement, I can't even tell if they're after performance or battery life with this one.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
      From the announcement, I can't even tell if they're after performance or battery life with this one.
      From previous announcements, Carrizo is mobile only and aimed at both.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael_S View Post

From previous announcements, Carrizo is mobile only and aimed at both.
        Of course it is. What I meant is: will it beat intel in performance or battery life?

Comment

If HP EliteBook 755 with AMD PRO costs $1,000 or more, even with an installment plan, I would probably not buy one. I don't know if AMD TrustZone (ARM) would work with Linux.

Plus, AMD PRO Control Center only works with Windows.

But then I feel a bit of an unease giving up my 3-year Windows-free life since I'm taking Desktop Support Technician at World Services for the Blind in Arkansas. Windows is everywhere in jobs, but I'm not going to complain about that. And if I have to choose between Windows 7 and Windows 10, well, Windows 10 is okay, but I love the beauty of Aero Glass and modern-free experience of Windows 7. No Microsoft account, no SkyDrive integration that I care less about, just pure Windows 7 experience.

Comment

There it goes again... "Unapproved." Pardon me for going off-topic, but do all the posts have to be approved by moderators?

And there's a check button right next to "#x unapproved." As soon as I refresh the page, my previous post disappeared.
            Last edited by GraysonPeddie; 30 September 2015, 02:34 PM.

Comment

Windows 10 was mentioned six times in the press release, but no sign of Linux.
              AFAICS Windows 10 was mentioned in two contexts :

- Carrizo being in some of the "first to market" Windows 10 systems (there's not really an obvious Linux equivalent for that)
              - representative from Microsoft talking about Windows 10 (I don't think Linus does PR blurbs but we can ask for next time)
              Test signature

Comment

Not exactly interesting news. They need to get Zen-based APU/CPUs out already, and they need to be decent.

Comment

Apus are good, but finding a laptop with a bigger battery and a Full HD screen with a good luminosity is hard, especially in my country.

Comment

Originally posted by GraysonPeddie View Post
                    There it goes again... "Unapproved." Pardon me for going off-topic, but do all the posts have to be approved by moderators?

And there's a check button right next to "#x unapproved." As soon as I refresh the page, my previous post disappeared.

It's some other issue. I find that if I close the browser and open it again, it fixes itself.

Comment

Working...
                    X