No announcement yet.

Fedora vs. openSUSE vs. Manjaro vs. Debian vs. Ubuntu vs. Mint Linux Benchmarks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora vs. openSUSE vs. Manjaro vs. Debian vs. Ubuntu vs. Mint Linux Benchmarks

Phoronix: Fedora vs. openSUSE vs. Manjaro vs. Debian vs. Ubuntu vs. Mint Linux Benchmarks

Honoring the latest round of Phoronix Premium reader requests is a fresh six-way Linux distribution comparison. Tested were Manjaro 15.09 and Linux Mint 17.2 and then the latest development versions of Fedora 23, openSUSE 42.1 Leap, Debian Stretch Testing, and Ubuntu 15.10.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Something seems severely wrong with openSUSE 42.1 Leap Beta. XFS and the CPU tests shouldn't be that slow! Mint uses the same compiler, thus the CPU tests should be similar.
    Furthermore, why is the chipset on openSUSE reported differently on the first page?
    Last edited by oleid; 30 September 2015, 03:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by oleid View Post
      Something seems severely wrong with openSUSE 42.1 Leap Beta. XFS and the CPU tests shouldn't be that slow! Mint uses the same compiler, thus the CPU tests should be similar.
      Furthermore, why is the chipset on openSUSE reported differently on the first page?
      It's reported differently based on their PCI ID string database, kernel, etc.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Should I even bother looking past the first page?
        "Out of the box performance" >> Proceeds to use a beta version of every distro except Linux Mint and Manjaro. In the latter, it's not that hard to use one command to switch to the unstable repos after your install:
        sudo pacman-mirrors -gb unstable

And BOOM, mesa 11.

As for Linux Mint, it's as simple as checking a box in your update manager to get to the "beta" repository...

But, we all know how you feel about Manjaro and Linux Mint, so I'm just falling on deaf ears.

Comment

Correct me if I am wrong, but it looks like there were several different desktop environments were used, but they did not seem to greatly impact the test results. Am I correct in this?

Comment

The table is completely unreadable. Isn't there a way to add horizontal scrollbars?

Comment

Originally posted by nils_ View Post
              The table is completely unreadable. Isn't there a way to add horizontal scrollbars?
              In Firefox, there are such scrollbars.

Comment

Originally posted by shawnsterp View Post
                Correct me if I am wrong, but it looks like there were several different desktop environments were used, but they did not seem to greatly impact the test results. Am I correct in this?

They shouldn't have a large effect. I'd say it's a combination of a variety of factors due to the recipe of packages/versions installed, just like a taste testing competition.

Comment

Originally posted by oleid View Post

In Firefox, there are such scrollbars.

Must be a chrome problem then. Disappointing.

Comment

Manjaro defaults to Linux kernel version 3.18... I just installed the latest version yesterday. You have to go into the additional kernel manager and select a newer one. That and Mesa 11 makes this really not fair at all for Manjaro.

Comment

Working...
                    X