Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Dismisses Another 5% Of Its Workforce

Phoronix: AMD Dismisses Another 5% Of Its Workforce

AMD hasn't gotten lucky financially speaking in quite a while and their latest measure to fend off further losses is by getting rid of another 5% of its staff, or about 500 people based on their current head count of just under 10,000 employees left...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Maybe they could stop giving golden parachutes to failed CEOs?

Comment

This huge, this is really sad for those people. AMD needs to rethink their strategy notably in terms of softwares companions with their nice GPU for instance (at least under Linux). In GPGPU they almost lost the battle while they probably had the best horses at the very beginning. Look at the Top500 and Green500 lists, only a few comes with AMD GPUs and there are good raisons for that. In this very juicy market they should have done much better regarding the raw specs of their GPU beasts. But because the "software" side is really weak (drivers, OpenCL vs CUDA, no OpenACC equivalent etc.). Selling cheap APU is clearly not a winning path.

Comment

Its really sad.. most sites especially this one shits all over AMD. IN FAVOR OF NVIDIA how can amd get ahead this isnt because of hardware my 7870ghz still runs all the shit that comes out today.. drivers are rock solid atleast on Windows, i dont get it oh well enjoy your 1000$ gtx 960 or 950ti im going to cherrish my AMD hardware while its still alive and with linux kerenel the way it is would rather promote propietary software like nvidia which will ultimately ruin the linux experience as an AMD user... and thought it was all about open source.
        Last edited by BEZZiiE; 02 October 2015, 10:27 AM.

Comment

I love AMD. I wish that they would work out their driver issues though. It is almost embarrasing, especially when compared to Nvidia/Noveau, that RadeonSI is nearly at parity with catalyst. I mean, they advertise 8.6 teraflops of compute on the fury x, whereas the 980ti is 5.6 teraflop. What's the deal?

Comment

Originally posted by BEZZiiE View Post
            this isnt because of hardware my 7870ghz still runs all the shit that comes out today.. drivers are rock solid atleast on Windows
            • "Rock solid" on Windows means next to nothing to the audience of this site.
            • AMD's open source efforts are better than Nvidia, but they're still pretty barren (fingers crossed for the current generation though...) Promises and half-baked gestures mean nothing. Until they deliver a solid open source driver for any of their cards, I'm going to dismiss this as a pipe dream (been burned by hype often enough...). The only vendor I trust to do graphics well on Linux today is Intel.

Originally posted by BEZZiiE View Post
            and with linux kerenel the way it is would rather promote propietary software like nvidia which will ultimately ruin the linux experience as an AMD user
            What is this? I don't even understand what you're trying to say here.

You're raging like a fan boy. And I say this as someone who has bought AMD for every desktop I've ever had.
            This site is not without bias, but in this case there really is nothing to talk about. The numbers speak for themselves.

And please, language and grammar.

Comment

Originally posted by spiff View Post
              The numbers speak for themselves.
              Can't resist the bait.

The numbers:

Number of programming manuals for Nvidia GPUs : 0
              Auditable GPU LoCs for desktop GPUs from Nvidia: 0
              Proprietary black boxes that eat children: Way too many
              Do I have any idea how my Nvidia GPU Works? : hell naw

Comment

Originally posted by spiff View Post
                • "Rock solid" on Windows means next to nothing to the audience of this site.
                • AMD's open source efforts are better than Nvidia, but they're still pretty barren (fingers crossed for the current generation though...) Promises and half-baked gestures mean nothing. Until they deliver a solid open source driver for any of their cards, I'm going to dismiss this as a pipe dream (been burned by hype often enough...). The only vendor I trust to do graphics well on Linux today is Intel.

What is this? I don't even understand what you're trying to say here.

You're raging like a fan boy. And I say this as someone who has bought AMD for every desktop I've ever had.
                This site is not without bias, but in this case there really is nothing to talk about. The numbers speak for themselves.

And please, language and grammar.

JUST BECAUSE SOMEONE LOVES SOMETHING THEY ARE INSTANTLY A FANBOY, You are stupid and posted the most useless shit... Just because i want AMD to succeed instead of watching them fail. they by no means have shitty hardware.

Comment

Any info on some linux dev dismiss?
                  Last edited by dungeon; 02 October 2015, 10:53 AM.

Comment

All i'm saying is the way AMD is today is not because of hardware but because when a reviewer reviews a piece of hardware they find one minor hiccup in AMD hardware and instantly promotes intel/nvidia before finding a fix for the problem. OR AMD is like the Linux ecosystem as a whole and just not very popular and never will be...

I use both windows and linux on the regular and i find it funny how OpenGL performance on Windows is a million times better than Linux, And all the newer distros with Kernel 4.x+ (Mesa 11.0+[intel]} and LLVM 3.7 on ubuntu 15.10 and manjaro 15.09 which wont even write to a usb drive, still suck at performance even with open-source drivers...(STEAM installs on open source drivers but it hangs on startup.)

IDK if its the CPU i'm running... i scale my cpu to max performance with CPUpower i don't know if the card is asleep or what but bad performance, even using lighter DE's doesn't seem to help i even turn off window compositing...

AND Ubuntu supposedly fixed catalyst under 4.2+ yet when i install it, it hangs at loading splash screen... from the ubuntu repo... id use linux more if i could fix these problems i have a decent sized linux games library i want to play.
                    Last edited by BEZZiiE; 02 October 2015, 11:16 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X