OpenIndiana 2015.10 "Hipster" Released To Continue On The OpenSolaris Dream

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OpenIndiana 2015.10 "Hipster" Released To Continue On The OpenSolaris Dream

Phoronix: OpenIndiana 2015.10 "Hipster" Released To Continue On The OpenSolaris Dream

A new update to OpenIndiana is available, the operating system powered by Illumos that's derived from what was the OpenSolaris code-base prior to it being killed by Oracle. OpenIndiana 2015.10 "Hipster" is the name of this new release.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Why did you decide against running performance tests? Might be very interesting to see how this kernel performs vs. Linux

Comment

Hm, OS which does not have recent Firefox is not an OS... I guess even Windows XP users have newer one

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
        Hm, OS which does not have recent Firefox is not an OS... I guess even Windows XP users have newer one
        As you know, Windows XP does not provide Firefox in the default install. You need to download it and install (or compile from source). Similar with Solaris / OpenSolaris. The only difference is that Mozilla do not provide binaries for this OS. A company providing or not providing binaries is not a great indicator of whether an OS is an OS or not

Yes, modern Firefox is a pain to compile for Solaris, but that is due to developers writing unportable Linux-specific code rather than decent portable POSIX code.

Also, people regard iOS as a great OS... but that doesn't really provide Firefox. Just a firefox looking wrapper around Apple's WebKit. Perhaps you should tell the world to stop using iOS and install Windows XP on their iPhones instead haha.

Just my 2c from a guy who remembers a time when "everyone" was calling Linux insignificant compared to Windows...

Comment

To be fair, OpenSolaris guys are very under manned and havent had an easy time with Oracle breathing down there neck. They should be applauded just to continue their contributions.

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post

As you know, Windows XP does not provide Firefox in the default install. You need to download it and install (or compile from source). Similar with Solaris / OpenSolaris. The only difference is that Mozilla do not provide binaries for this OS. A company providing or not providing binaries is not a great indicator of whether an OS is an OS or not

Yes, modern Firefox is a pain to compile for Solaris, but that is due to developers writing unportable Linux-specific code rather than decent portable POSIX code.

Also, people regard iOS as a great OS... but that doesn't really provide Firefox. Just a firefox looking wrapper around Apple's WebKit. Perhaps you should tell the world to stop using iOS and install Windows XP on their iPhones instead haha.

Just my 2c from a guy who remembers a time when "everyone" was calling Linux insignificant compared to Windows...
            Ah OK, i refer to OSes which are usable on Desktop hardware and most important part of Desktop is also browsing the web... and really there if someone does not have man power for recent Firefox, to me it is just goes into homebrew OS catagory.

BTW, OI is just something for ZFS lovers and nothing more than that.

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post

Thing is if i didn't comment, no one will comment in this OI thread

I remember they have it working two years ago, Micheal comment they now ship with year old unsupported esr - that is how i gain attention to FF matter. Then i checked mozilla download locations where they really seems stopped building it at FF/TB 31 version. Whatever the problem is about that, it is a problem.

And if you release new OS release with the problem, you just release to have what to archiving not that enyone should use it.
              Last edited by dungeon; 04 October 2015, 04:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
                People still use Firefox?

Are they using rotary phones to make phone calls, too?

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
                  People still use Firefox?
                  Sure.

Are they using rotary phones to make phone calls, too?
                  4K rotary sure thing

Comment

You make phone calls on your TV?
                    I'll stick with my 400ppi phone, thanks.

Anyway, if you need Firefox and you use OpenIndiana, you can compile it yourself for each machine or make your own repository for packages not in the main repos, because you likely have at least that capabability. If not, then you probably should consider a different OS, at least for your primary machine.

Comment

Working...
                    X