Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unicode 8.0 Support Added To GNOME's GLib

Phoronix: Unicode 8.0 Support Added To GNOME's GLib

Within the latest development code of GNOME's key GLib library leading up to GNOME 3.20 is Unicode 8.0 support...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Is this really worth reporting? It is a relatively minor update and users generally aren't really affected by Unicode updates.

Comment

Originally posted by brent View Post
      Is this really worth reporting? It is a relatively minor update and users generally aren't really affected by Unicode updates.
      Unless you need to work with lowercase cherokee or old hungarian script, or perhaps multani(a script used up until possibly less than 100 years ago)
      Or maybe you want to send a taco emoji, or a middle finger emoji.

Unicode updates affect people, just not you.

Comment

Originally posted by microcode View Post
        Unless you need to work with lowercase cherokee or old hungarian script, or perhaps multani(a script used up until possibly less than 100 years ago)
        Sure, but maybe that affects 0.01% of people. I'm not claiming Unicode updates are irrelevant, but it's not big deal and not really worth of reporting. The Unicode standard is updated all the time. Or can I get an article for my library as well? I already added Unicode 8.0 support months ago!

Comment

Sure, but maybe that affects 0.01% of people. I'm not claiming Unicode updates are irrelevant, but it's not big deal and not really worth eof reporting. The Unicode standard is updated all the time. Or can I get an article for my library as well? I already added Unicode 8.0 support months ago!
          I am sure you are 0.17% wrong. If your library is as popular as GTK, perhaps you will get an article too.

Comment

Originally posted by microcode View Post
            I'm not claiming Unicode updates are irrelevant, but it's not big deal and not really worth of reporting. The Unicode standard is updated all the time.
            Well, the 8.0 upgrade specifically isn't as trivial as usual. It's not only about adding new codepoint (e.g.: new symbols in a font. or new pictures to the emoji list). Unicode 8.0 introduce also new concepts. Like Emoji's Skin Tone modifiers. Thus whereas Emoji up until now where simply a straighforward Unicode codepoint <=> Emoji picture substitution, now they need to take modifier into acount (like other codepoints).
            Which requires support from the library's code to work properly. (and also in the corresponding emoji picture pack).

GTK being a popular library, it's useful to know that now most of the GTK powered pieces of software (like the upcoming GTK3 powered next gen Pidgin) won't barf when recieving emoji (like chat message in my exemple) that they don't support yet (messages sent from the latest iOS).

It's not a major news like "nVidia and AMD decided to simultaneously fully opensource their proprietary Linux drivers" (I wish...) but on the other hand it affects a tiny bit more people then news like "an obscure code layer used to access microsoft OLE/COM objects from non microsoft compiler and/or OSes get patched to better support 64bit and call by ref" (That's me !...)

Comment

Working...
            X