Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Compute Shaders Appear Nearly Ready For Mainline Mesa

Phoronix: Intel Compute Shaders Appear Nearly Ready For Mainline Mesa

OpenGL Compute Shader support appears about ready for the open-source Intel i965 Mesa DRI driver!..

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Well, even though Intel don't have OpenGL 4.0 compliance yet, Radeon and Noveau have 4.1 compliance. Compute Shaders for general Mesa code is great and is really closing the gap on 4.3!

Comment

I'd rather Intel focus on GL 4.x than GLES. It doesn't really make sense to me why intel would actively support GLES. The sole reason there are applications that support GLES is because there are hardware platforms out there that don't support openGL. Of those platforms, none of them use intel products. So by intel supporting GLES, they're indirectly promoting the usage of non-intel products.
      Last edited by schmidtbag; 06 October 2015, 10:38 AM.

Comment

Android uses GLES.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
          I'd rather Intel focus on GL 4.x than GLES. It actually doesn't really make sense why intel would actively support GLES. The sole reason there are applications that support GLES is because there are hardware platforms out there that don't support openGL. Of those platforms, none of them use intel products. So by intel supporting GLES, they're indirectly promoting the usage of non-intel products.
          The Asus' phone uses Intel (Zen 2 or something), and if they want others onboard they need to provide compliance to GLES, no?

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
            Android uses GLES.
            But Intel don't use Mesa on Android anyway...

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
              I'd rather Intel focus on GL 4.x than GLES.
              FWIW, I'd prefer that also. But so it goes.

Of course, compute shaders are part of GL 4.3 and a number of game developers desperately want them, so this work will definitely benefit Linux gamers as well.
              Free Software Developer .:. Mesa and Xorg
              Opinions expressed in these forum posts are my own.

Comment

Originally posted by SXX⁣ View Post
                But Intel don't use Mesa on Android anyway...

yes it uses, and with tizen

Comment

Now I wonder that it would take to port this and arrays of arrays to gallium based drivers...

Comment

Wow, that's amazing! As far as I recall, Compute Shaders is the last thing modern game engines need to run on Mesa. Also, that probably means Mesa 12 is incoming already. (If there's a gap less than a year between Mesa 11 and Mesa 12, it means it's catching up with the GL spec!)

Comment

Working...
                    X