No announcement yet.

AMD Has More Developers Working On Their Open-Source Driver Behind The Scenes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Has More Developers Working On Their Open-Source Driver Behind The Scenes

Phoronix: AMD Has More Developers Working On Their Open-Source Driver Behind The Scenes

While there's just a handful of names that Phoronix readers are familiar with when it comes to AMD's open-source Linux driver developers and those from AMD who communicate with the community in our forums, it turns out there are many more developers at AMD becoming involved as part of their new AMDGPU driver stack...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Wouldn't this also make AMD CPUs more attractive for Chromebooks, which are actually selling very well? That would certainly help the bottom line.

Comment

There's no "I" in Team.
      BUT THERE IS MEAT.

mmmmm.... meat.

I'm willing to give AMD the benefit of the doubt: I'll seriously consider buying an Arctic Island GPU instead of Pascal if they have some decent drivers out to support it. That's probably a full year out and the supposedly AMD-friendly Vulkan will be out by then, so we'll see what AMD can do.

Comment

Originally posted by chuckula View Post
        There's no "I" in Team.
        BUT THERE IS MEAT.

mmmmm.... meat.

I'm willing to give AMD the benefit of the doubt: I'll seriously consider buying an Arctic Island GPU instead of Pascal if they have some decent drivers out to support it. That's probably a full year out and the supposedly AMD-friendly Vulkan will be out by then, so we'll see what AMD can do.
        Yep, next year I'll probably be spending close to five bills on a new AMD card.

Comment

This is interesting information, especially considering the recent layoffs. I'm not exactly sure if this means AMD's priorities are straightening but as long as we linux users get a better experience in less time, I'm not complaining.

Comment

I wonder if Intel has any devs working in background on their Linux graphics stack. If not, I wonder if AMD's Linux Graphics team suddenly became larger than Intel OTC dev team working on Intel Linux Graphics.

Comment

Originally posted by Krejzi View Post
              I wonder if Intel has any devs working in background on their Linux graphics stack. If not, I wonder if AMD's Linux Graphics team suddenly became larger than Intel OTC dev team working on Intel Linux Graphics.
              IIRC, Intel's team involves around 50 (plus or minus 10) developers. I'm pretty sure AMD's is smaller, and until they stop laying off employees, it always will be.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                This is interesting information, especially considering the recent layoffs. I'm not exactly sure if this means AMD's priorities are straightening but as long as we linux users get a better experience in less time, I'm not complaining.
                The open source team and the Linux kernel Catalyst team are converging in one team for the amdgpu driver, this was announced last year. Amdgpu & radeon have come a long way http://xorg.freedesktop.org/wiki/RadeonFeature/
                there is not so much need to have two kernel drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                  IIRC, Intel's team involves around 50 (plus or minus 10) developers. I'm pretty sure AMD's is smaller, and until they stop laying off employees, it always will be.
                  You're about right, there is list I made from my personal interest.
                  So ~6 months ago Intel had following team:
                  • 27+ developers on Mesa.
                  • 25+ that commit exclusively on kernel driver.
                    This does not include devs that work on both Mesa and kernel.
                  • 14 developers on OpenCL (Beignet).
                  And it's possible even more developers in case of Mesa and kernel because some of them don't use corporate email and I don't know every developer who works for Intel.
                  Last edited by SXX⁣; 06 October 2015, 10:48 AM.

Comment

I been waiting for an upgrade for my 8 year old hardware. If AMD stuff performs like they say with nice drivers I'm going to spend some money on a top end cpu and gpu.

Comment

Working...
                    X