Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rogue Wave Software Acquires PHP's Zend

Phoronix: Rogue Wave Software Acquires PHP's Zend

A month out from the launch of PHP 7, Rogue Wave Software has announced they've acquired Zend Technologies, the main company behind PHP for the enterprise...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I wonder why they are interested in PHP.
    PHP was interesting 15 years ago.
    Now it on the way out in favor of Scala with Play!, JavaScript with Node.js, C# with ASP.NET MVC, etc.

Also, PHP is anything but mission critical. It is dynamically typed, that is not mission critical.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      I wonder why they are interested in PHP.
      PHP was interesting 15 years ago.
      Now it on the way out in favor of Scala with Play!, JavaScript with Node.js, C# with ASP.NET MVC, etc.
      There is still a lot more PHP Software running and new software being developed. I think PHP has some severe flaws, but that doesn't change the fact that people still use it.

Also, PHP is anything but mission critical. It is dynamically typed, that is not mission critical.
      I don't see the connection.

Comment

Hm, Zend. That reminds me of Novell ZENworks, from which Zypper got the first letter.

Comment

Originally posted by nils_ View Post

There is still a lot more PHP Software running and new software being developed. I think PHP has some severe flaws, but that doesn't change the fact that people still use it.

I don't see the connection.
          +1 Javascript is also dynamically typed! That was a bad argument!

Comment

I have made my living with writing PHP code for the last decade - no signs of it slowing down. New technologies come and go, some are a flash in the pan - others get meaningful take up.

Comment

Originally posted by BSDude View Post

+1 Javascript is also dynamically typed! That was a bad argument!
              Yes, JavaScript is also dynamically typed, but it is not used anywhere for anything mission critical.

Dynamically typed languages simply aren't used for anything mission critical.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post

Yes, JavaScript is also dynamically typed, but it is not used anywhere for anything mission critical.

Dynamically typed languages simply aren't used for anything mission critical.
                Explain then Node.js!

Comment

Originally posted by BSDude View Post

Explain then Node.js!
                  The web isn't mission critical.
                  Mission critical things are health care, water pumps, and weapon systems. Node.js isn't used there.

Comment

Working...
                  X