Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Plasma 5.4.2 Released

Phoronix: KDE Plasma 5.4.2 Released

The latest monthly point release to Plasma 5.4 is now available...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Last week I tried KDE Plasma 5 through openSUSE Tumbleweed: worst experience of my life. Ok, not exactly the worst of my life, but the worst related to Linux.
    I don't like the approach used by Breeze to desktop usability: it remember me too much the Windows 10 GUI, and really I hate the "fifty-shades-of-grey" color theme for everything. My monitor has 16 million colors and I want to use them all 16 millions at once!
    Beside this I have switched to Oxygen theme (but it is uglier than the KDE4 version) and I have changed the color theme to Oxygen cold, but I experienced sluggish animations, a lot of useless notifications, tooltips and sliding popup that remain open even if they has to be closed, phantom shadows (maybe related to some incompatibility with fglrx drivers?) and a lot of missing plasmoids (gx-mail, quick launch, smooth tasks, kicker, basically my actual desktop with KDE4).
    I reported this experience through the reddit openSUSE subreddit, and I hope this can be useful to something.

Comment

Originally posted by toalex77 View Post
      My experience with KDE5 on Arch is nothing like that (and I use it since 5.0)
      It is still twice faster than GNOME even on Intel graphics (seriously, which GPU is slower than that these days?), more like kwin is the perfect example of compositing, just look at buttery smooth resizes with Resize plugin.
      I say blame bads from opensuse or amd (fglrx lol).

As for breeze, aestethics are completely subjective, but most of the users gladly ditched ugly asf oxygen for breeze. Even though I use Qt's Fusion as its fully HiDPI compatible.

Comment

Kubuntu 15.10 is around the corner and included Plasma 5.4.2, I'll just wait a couple of weeks and get a polished version, or so I hope!

And I loathed Breeze when I first tried it (even switch back to Oxygen for while), but then it kinda grew on me and I found the overall experience more aesthetic to me.
        Last edited by Zoll; 07 October 2015, 05:08 AM.

Comment

Excellent news I'm going to finance both Kubuntu and Plasma.

Comment

Originally posted by magika View Post
            It is still twice faster than GNOME even on Intel graphics (seriously, which GPU is slower than that these days?), more like kwin is the perfect example of compositing, just look at buttery smooth resizes with Resize plugin.
            Twice as fast? How did you measure it?

Comment

... My monitor has 16 million colors and I want to use them all 16 millions at once! ...
              You do realize that a FullHD monitor only has ~2 million pixels and a 4k monitor only has about ~8, don't you?
              But don't worry, most themes out there are just horrible mixes of awful colours, one of them is bound to fix your problem (as much as it can be fixed).

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

You do realize that a FullHD monitor only has ~2 million pixels and a 4k monitor only has about ~8, don't you?
                But don't worry, most themes out there are just horrible mixes of awful colours, one of them is bound to fix your problem (as much as it can be fixed).
                <sarcasm>
                I'm sorry. I forgot to enclose that sentence between appropriate "sarcasm" tags. How instead I did with this.
                </sarcasm>

Comment

Originally posted by magika View Post
                  My experience with KDE5 on Arch is nothing like that (and I use it since 5.0)
                  I say blame bads from opensuse or amd (fglrx lol).

As for breeze, aestethics are completely subjective, but most of the users gladly ditched ugly asf oxygen for breeze. Even though I use Qt's Fusion as its fully HiDPI compatible.

Ok, I have not expanded properly the "sluggish" concept. The DE is not slow, as if they are performance issues. The DE is sluggish, because the animations and the transitions are not reactive. With KDE4 I can set "Very fast" or "Instant" for the effects, but in Plasma5 (after finding where these settings have been moved) I can disable they or keep they sluggish, because also the fastest setting for the effect is too slow (at least for my taste).
                  Oh, and no the settings were imported from KDE4, so all the customization that I've done were lost. I think that, when a new product replaces an older, it's important to maintain, as much as possible, the old settings and customizations, in order to make more pleasant, and less traumatic as possible, the migration.
                  I am fond to how I customized my desktop. If I see it destroyed I can only hate who has destroyed it.

Comment

Last week I tried KDE Plasma 5 through openSUSE Tumbleweed: worst experience of my life. Ok, not exactly the worst of my life, but the worst related to Linux.
                    I don't like the approach used by Breeze to desktop usability: it remember me too much the Windows 10 GUI, and really I hate the "fifty-shades-of-grey" color theme for everything. My monitor has 16 million colors and I want to use them all 16 millions at once!
                    Beside this I have switched to Oxygen theme (but it is uglier than the KDE4 version) and I have changed the color theme to Oxygen cold, but I experienced sluggish animations, a lot of useless notifications, tooltips and sliding popup that remain open even if they has to be closed, phantom shadows (maybe related to some incompatibility with fglrx drivers?) and a lot of missing plasmoids (gx-mail, quick launch, smooth tasks, kicker, basically my actual desktop with KDE4).
                    I reported this experience through the reddit openSUSE subreddit, and I hope this can be useful to something.
                    You know you can change most of this stuff in no time, right? I agree that some ofmthendefault choices are not ideal but KF5 and Plasma 5 are pretty sweet Use it on both my Ivybridge and AMD systems (FOSS driver).

Comment

Working...
                    X