Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Virtual Programming Is Porting Four More Titles To Linux

Phoronix: Virtual Programming Is Porting Four More Titles To Linux

Virtual Programming has published their latest in-development titles for Mac and Linux, which includes the Overlord and Saints Row games making it over from Windows...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Having more games ported is better than the alternative. I greatly appreciate native games, but if stats can be collected for all games played on Linux, port or not, that would help the cause.

Comment

I've been growing less and less interested in old(er) games being ported to linux. I don't tend to encounter performance issues, but a lot of graphical and audio features tend to be lacking. I play Borderlands 2, Witcher 2, and Metro Redux + Last Light on Windows. They don't support 5+ button mice, they don't support surround sound, and they all lack some graphics settings (or they just simply don't do anything). It's just disappointing because you're pretty much restricted to 3-button mice, stereo speakers, and nvidia GPUs. That's not appealing, as a linux user.

I'll likely never buy another ported game again, but, I will buy games that intentionally had linux support from the beginning - those seem to perform great.

Comment

Well at less they are making old games come to linux to me is not bad, but as Michael said if they support other video cards, finally will be a win as linux users coming from vp, I will buy from them .

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
          I've been growing less and less interested in old(er) games being ported to linux. I don't tend to encounter performance issues, but a lot of graphical and audio features tend to be lacking. I play Borderlands 2, Witcher 2, and Metro Redux + Last Light on Windows. They don't support 5+ button mice, they don't support surround sound, and they all lack some graphics settings (or they just simply don't do anything). It's just disappointing because you're pretty much restricted to 3-button mice, stereo speakers, and nvidia GPUs. That's not appealing, as a linux user.

I'll likely never buy another ported game again, but, I will buy games that intentionally had linux support from the beginning - those seem to perform great.

How is your mouse handled? I use a razer naga hex and my extra mouse buttons are just num buttons, I set up the key bindings in games just as I would a keyboard.

Comment

Originally posted by chris200x9 View Post
            How is your mouse handled? I use a razer naga hex and my extra mouse buttons are just num buttons, I set up the key bindings in games just as I would a keyboard.
            I have a forward button, back button, and a tilt-wheel. These act as mouse buttons 4, 5, 6, and 7 in both Windows and linux. Most games, including in Windows, don't support the tilt wheel, but most games don't need it either. I tried using something like xbindkeys but some games (such as Witcher 2) don't "listen" to xbindkeys.

Comment

If the games are good, I'm gonna pay for them just to support Linux guys. In fact, I've only bought linux games, back when I was still using Windows I was a poor high-scheel student and pirated everything. As far as accessories go, basic mouse functionality should work as long as their buttons are HID compliant (all of them are). This doesn't mean that ports always support right bindings, but remapping is an option in 99% of cases. Only mices with more than 32bittons and obscure 'non-button, non-pointer' things generally doesn't work well via HID driver.

Comment

If the games are good, I'm gonna pay for them just to support Linux guys. In fact, I've only bought linux games, back when I was still using Windows I was a poor high-scheel student and pirated everything. As far as accessories go, basic mouse functionality should work as long as their buttons are HID compliant (all of them are). This doesn't mean that ports always support right bindings, but remapping is an option in 99% of cases. Only mices with more than 32bittons and obscure 'non-button, non-pointer' things generally doesn't work well via HID driver.

Comment

Originally posted by tpruzina View Post
                  This doesn't mean that ports always support right bindings, but remapping is an option in 99% of cases.
                  As I stated before, I tried remapping (using xbindkeys) and it didn't work, at least not for all games. What bothers me is for many of these ported games, you can potentially have a better experience with them in wine than you would with the native build. But to be specific - if you use nvidia, a 3-button mouse, and stereo speakers, you'll likely have no problems with a native linux version.

Comment

schmidtbag, have you tried this, but switching the order (so that the keyboard button is on the left and the mouse button is on the right)?

Comment

Working...
                    X