Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Open-Source Doom 3 Spin Updated With Many New Features

Phoronix: Open-Source Doom 3 Spin Updated With Many New Features

While many initially looked at ioDoom3 as the exciting fork of id Software's id Tech 3 / Doom 3 source-code as it was done by some of the same folks as ioquake3, there sadly hasn't been much to report on in recent times for the project. Fortunately, the independent "dhewm3" is making strides as an open-source Doom 3 project...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Better widescreen support? Good. I'll have to try this out on my Windows and Linux installations. Widescreen support has always been a PITA with Doom 3.

Comment

I played the full Doom 3 (when dhwm3 was new) with it, but informer the grappling hook from the addon resurrection of evil crashed the game. Did somebody play the addon completely? Basically i still like the old look, the bitmaps are sharper (uncompressed), not 16:9 shaped videos (partly cut) like in the new D3 BFG.

Comment

is it very difficult to make a very basic artwork to play a game with that engine? Maybe even port one map from nexuiz to it and one weapon?

would be nice to see any movement to new games with that engine.

Comment

The D3 BFG engine is used for a new game i think, this is for the old format - Quake 4 would be similar to Doom 3 but the source for Quake 4 is not available, i think it was changed. Would be so cool to play Quake 4 with a new port... - or maybe Prey.
          Last edited by Kano; 09 October 2015, 06:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by blackiwid View Post
            is it very difficult to make a very basic artwork to play a game with that engine? Maybe even port one map from nexuiz to it and one weapon?

would be nice to see any movement to new games with that engine.
            Difficult? No. Time consuming, though. There is also no way to convert maps from earlier iD engines outside of D3 Edit.

Comment

Compiled this just yesterday and notice custom resolution in the menu

Kano

Did you tried this dhewm3 one now on Debian? It seems ogg segafault in timedemo run.

edit: And is cames down to do vorbis missbehave, hmm... actually vorbisfile, it might be distro bug... something is screwed in libvorbisfile3, no debian patches it works

edit: OK it seems fixed in 1.3.4-3 couple weeks ago, at least we know 1.3.4-2 on current ubuntu will segfault with this game and jessie too
              Last edited by dungeon; 09 October 2015, 08:25 PM.

Comment

Did not try it yet, but i remember that there was the (unstable) dante D3 variant - with OpenGL ES support - best as base for an Android port. I really like Android games - FireTV or Nexus 7 are without fans and you can play cool old games like Carmageddon. The best gfx do not always matter, some games are just fun. Goat Simulator works everywhere, maybe i get Goatz...

Comment

I wonder if this works with sikkmod and all the graphical effects like parallax occlusion mapping, HDR, ambient occlusion, soft shadows, the original 1.3 doom3 binary doesn't, I had to run the windows binary in wine for all this graphics effects to work

Comment

Originally posted by monohouse View Post
                    I wonder if this works with sikkmod and all the graphical effects like parallax occlusion mapping, HDR, ambient occlusion, soft shadows, the original 1.3 doom3 binary doesn't, I had to run the windows binary in wine for all this graphics effects to work
                    I think sikkmod uses custom .dll, so someone needs to compile native .so of that mod for linux... which is probably most easier to do with original untouched id-Software Doom3 source
                    Last edited by dungeon; 09 October 2015, 10:57 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X