Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raspberry Pi KMS Driver Updated

Phoronix: Raspberry Pi KMS Driver Updated

Eric Anholt has published an updated BCM2835 KMS driver for supporting the Raspberry Pi budget SBCs with this DRM driver...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This is certainly awesome news, but I'm afraid that by the time we get fully supported KMS, 3D, and power management on the Pi (let alone the Pi 2) it will be far too late. I really wish there was an ARM vendor interested in full Linux support (that isn't targeting Android).

Comment

So sad.
      Raspberry Pi sure could use some more support.
      Maybe do a crowdfunding campaign for the driver?

Comment

Originally posted by kaidenshi View Post
        This is certainly awesome news, but I'm afraid that by the time we get fully supported KMS, 3D, and power management on the Pi (let alone the Pi 2) it will be far too late. I really wish there was an ARM vendor interested in full Linux support (that isn't targeting Android).
        Too late for what? VideoCore4 is on both devices.

Comment

Originally posted by plonoma View Post
          So sad.
          Eric Anholt is a paid employee, money isn't the issue here. It's more to do with people with the knowledge and inclination to do the work, which aren't going to come about from a crowd funding campaign. Eric is in the best position to do the work because he works for the hardware manufacturer, so he has access to information that others don't.

Comment

Originally posted by plonoma View Post
            So sad.
            To be honest, the situation for FOSS gfx drivers on arm devices has never been better.. we have vc4 making rapid progress (upstream mesa and getting close for upstream kernel), newer tegra devices with nouveau support, etnaviv (vivante) getting close on the kernel side (and hopefully soon after we can start trying to merge the mesa bits), and freedreno (upstream kernel and mesa)..

The remaining hold-outs are arm (mali) and powervr..

Not saying the battle is over, but at this point it is time for people to start voting with their wallets.. buy a r-pi or dragonboard 410c instead of something with mali or powervr.. send a letter to the device vendors explaining how you bought a competitor's device instead because of FOSS graphics driver. Time to let market forces bring mali and powervr into the FOSS graphics driver camp..

Comment

Originally posted by leiptrstormr View Post

Too late for what? VideoCore4 is on both devices.
              My point is that the competing platforms are already far ahead of the RPi and RPi 2 in terms of raw speed and, more importantly, Linux support. By the time we get a fully open source stack for the Pi series, the competition will be 16 core 2GHz machines with 8GB embedded RAM and similar Linux support, at or near the Pi's price point.

Comment

My point is that the competing platforms are already far ahead of the RPi and RPi 2 in terms of raw speed and, more importantly, Linux support.
                Definetly not. There are many with much superior specs but 99% of them have aweful Linux support and a tiny community. Most of this stuff is simply unusable and cannot compete with RPIs... (In my humble experience)

Comment

Which competing platforms are you talking about? If you want an ARM SBC that isn't considered shovelware by the manufacturer, the Raspberry Pi is still the only viable choice.

Comment

My point is that the competing platforms are already far ahead of the RPi and RPi 2 in terms of raw speed and, more importantly, Linux support.
                    In terms of raw speed probably you are right, but linux support, either by closed source binaries or open source code, from other vendors is simply ridicolous.

Comment

Working...
                    X