Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some Of The Features Coming To KDE Plasma 5.5

Phoronix: Some Of The Features Coming To KDE Plasma 5.5

Kai Uwe has written a blog post about some of the new features coming to the KDE Plasma 5.5 desktop...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Me and my co-workers use KDE 5.4.2 across the board and we gotten used to it.
    But both feature wise and stability wise, it has yet to reach 4.12 maturity level.

As much as I would like to see KDE tablet and/or mobile phone (I'd throw my Android device in a heartbeat), IMHO KDE on PC should take precedence over mobile. At least until it matches 4.X.

- Gilboa
    oVirt-HV1: Intel S2600C0, 2xE5-2658V2, 128GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX1080 (to-VM), Dell U3219Q, U2415, U2412M.
    oVirt-HV2: Intel S2400GP2, 2xE5-2448L, 120GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX730 (to-VM).
    oVirt-HV3: Gigabyte B85M-HD3, E3-1245V3, 32GB, 4x1TB, 2x480GB SSD, GTX980 (to-VM).
    Devel-2: Asus H110M-K, i5-6500, 16GB, 3x1TB + 128GB-SSD, F33.

Comment

Originally posted by gilboa View Post
      Me and my co-workers use KDE 5.4.2 across the board and we gotten used to it.
      But both feature wise and stability wise, it has yet to reach 4.12 maturity level.

As much as I would like to see KDE tablet and/or mobile phone (I'd throw my Android device in a heartbeat), IMHO KDE on PC should take precedence over mobile. At least until it matches 4.X.

- Gilboa
      PC and Mobile are not completely exclusive. Many mobile-focused changes improve the desktop as well (especially when it comes to performance and stability) and vice-versa.

Comment

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post
        PC and Mobile are not completely exclusive. Many mobile-focused changes improve the desktop as well (especially when it comes to performance and stability) and vice-versa.
        I've been wondering about that. Is this one of those rare cases where aiming for the lowest common denominator actually works in favour of all involved?
        Hi

Comment

Originally posted by stiiixy View Post

I've been wondering about that. Is this one of those rare cases where aiming for the lowest common denominator actually works in favour of all involved?
          No, it's more about things like: Wayland support, adding touch gestures, getting a working on-screen-keyboard. Sounds mobile to you? Well is very relevant for modern desktops and especially notebooks with touch screens and/or detachable keyboards. The borders between pure mobile and pure desktop hardware blur. The difference in software also become less. For KWin I wrote a blog post addressing the question whether mobile "harmed" the desktop: http://blog.martin-graesslin.com/blo...hone-and-kwin/

Comment

Originally posted by mgraesslin View Post
            The borders between pure mobile and pure desktop hardware blur.
            inb4 KDE is next GNOME3

Comment

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post
              While it partially true, each and every project who tried to merge the two, broke horribly. Metro (Windows 8) and GNOME 3 are good (actually bad) examples.
              There's no way around it: Desktop w/ keyboard/mouse work flow is considerably different than touch oriented devices.

KDE developers will be forced to chose which overflow gets optimized and screw the other...

- Gilboa

oVirt-HV1: Intel S2600C0, 2xE5-2658V2, 128GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX1080 (to-VM), Dell U3219Q, U2415, U2412M.
              oVirt-HV2: Intel S2400GP2, 2xE5-2448L, 120GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX730 (to-VM).
              oVirt-HV3: Gigabyte B85M-HD3, E3-1245V3, 32GB, 4x1TB, 2x480GB SSD, GTX980 (to-VM).

Comment

While it partially true, each and every project who tried to merge the two, broke horribly. Metro (Windows 8) and GNOME 3 are good (actually bad) examples.
                There's no way around it: Desktop w/ keyboard/mouse work flow is considerably different than touch oriented devices.

KDE developers will be forced to chose which overflow gets optimized and screw the other...
                The whole point of Plasma is that they aren't merged. The desktop, mobile, and media player versions all have their own interface optimized for the particular situation they are meant to be used in. However, they all use the same underlying technology, and many of the widgets can share elements between different versions, so a lot of the work done for one will automatically help the others.
                Last edited by TheBlackCat; 15 October 2015, 12:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBlackCat View Post

The whole point of Plasma is that they aren't merged. The desktop, mobile, and media player versions all have their own interface optimized for the particular situation they are meant to be used in. However, they all use the same underlying technology, and many of the widgets can share elements between different versions, so a lot of the work done for one will automatically help the others.
                  I sure hope you're right, and that having a mobile interface will not break the main desktop interface.

- Gilboa

Comment

I sure hope you're right, and that having a mobile interface will not break the main desktop interface.
                    They already have a mobile interface, and have for years. "Plasm Mobile" is basically a rebranding and refocusing of "Plasma Active" (in fact the plasma mobile git repository is the plasma active git repository renamed). And there has been a netbook interface even longer. It didn't break the desktop interface then, and nothing has changed in that regard at any point since.

Comment

Working...
                    X