Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA 358.09 Beta Prepares For DRM Mode-Setting Interface

Phoronix: NVIDIA 358.09 Beta Prepares For DRM Mode-Setting Interface

The first public beta in NVIDIA's 358 driver series for Linux, BSD, and Solaris is available! Building off the NVIDIA 355 series, the 358 series adds in more pieces of the puzzle for interfacing with DRM/KMS and continues stepping closer to Mir/Wayland support...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Interesting way, maybe AMD needs more time to release a fglrx OpenGL stack for AMDGPU than Nvidia for KMS with this trick...

Comment

At last!

Comment

Would this also fix the issues with plymouth?

Comment

Damn I was hoping the beta would have at least the KMS stuff and Wayland EGL platform extensions to run Weston with EGLDevice and EGLStreams patches.

Comment

I don't follow this stuff too too close, but aren't we still waiting for the 355 series to hit linux, or is that release finally stable now?

Comment

nvidia driver releases are like this function
              f(z) = z ^^ 2 + c where f(z) < 2

For every release they get closer to 2, but is never equal to 2.
              Here, in this case 2 refers to wayland support

Comment

Originally posted by doublez13 View Post
                I don't follow this stuff too too close, but aren't we still waiting for the 355 series to hit linux, or is that release finally stable now?

What do you mean? You can install 355 for a long time on any distro you want. Or do you mean that only because distro X (say Ubuntu) doesn't ship this version out of the box it is unstable? No Ubuntu doesn't decide what is stable and unstable.

Comment

I predict mass spreading of wayland when nvidia proprietary will finally support it. It will probably be the default server after 6 months from a stable nvidia release

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post

What do you mean? You can install 355 for a long time on any distro you want. Or do you mean that only because distro X (say Ubuntu) doesn't ship this version out of the box it is unstable? No Ubuntu doesn't decide what is stable and unstable.
                    When I go to Nvidia's download site and put in the info about my OS and card it still sends me to the 352 download link. I just figured 355 wasn't stable on Linux yet.

Comment

Working...
                    X