Discussions Have Started Again About The Default Browser For Ubuntu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Discussions Have Started Again About The Default Browser For Ubuntu

Phoronix: Discussions Have Started Again About The Default Browser For Ubuntu

With an Ubuntu Long Term Support release coming up in just a half-year, the discussion has been re-ignited again about whether Firefox should remain the default web-browser for the platform...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Even though Firefox is hands-down my favorite browser, I think Ubuntu should move away from setting it as the default browser. Mozilla has made several decisions lately that I am NOT pleased with and a great many others as well. Maybe if Ubuntu removes it as the default, maybe the Firefox dev's will go back to their core mission. Not likely, but hey, I can hope.

Comment

Chromium is better than firefox faster than it and able to takes advantage from HTML5 and hardware acceleration besides 64bit benefit.

Comment

Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post
        Chromium is better than firefox faster than it and able to takes advantage from HTML5 and hardware acceleration besides 64bit benefit.
        Firefox is 64bit as well, isn't it?

This is not Windows after all.

Comment

Considering Ubuntu for what it is, bloatware and proprietary software and all it's already filled with, it would make most sense to go with google-chrome. Simply because it ships with PPAPI Flash wich is the best Flash Player available for Linux. Firefox is more effective memory wise, none can deny (e.g. would make sense for Lubuntu, but Ubuntu isn't about low resource use as much as it is about ease of use) but Chrome is a faster browser, and I said google-chrome and not chromium because it has a few extra features (security wise too) and ships with PPAPI. It seems like the best choice, also just because of it's massive popularity.

They could also even go outside the box a little, I mean since Ubuntu is already bloated as hell and everyone knows it, they might as well ship with both browsers with chrome as the default, firefox as a backup (and to not enrage the firefox fanbase too much)

What I would do though is make the default browser selectable at installation, and I'd include more possibilities than just firefox and chrome of course, that way everyone wins.
          Last edited by rabcor; 13 October 2015, 11:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post
            64 bit ?

Last edited by Slartifartblast; 13 October 2015, 12:11 PM.

Comment

Well, if they drop Firefox I will probably drop Ubuntu
              One of the major reasons for using Linux is that it protects my privacy so its obvious that I want that my main browser to do the same
              Firefox is great in this area
              Also for web developing the best add-on is Firebug which ony installs in Firefox as far as I know

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
                Well, if they drop Firefox I will probably drop Ubuntu..
                It's about the default browser, you'll still be able to "apt-get install firefox" no matter what they decide.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
                  Well, if they drop Firefox I will probably drop Ubuntu
                  One of the major reasons for using Linux is that it protects my privacy
                  If you chose Ubuntu to protect your privacy, you've made a wrong decision anyway...

Comment

Originally posted by jf33 View Post
                    If you chose Ubuntu to protect your privacy, you've made a wrong decision anyway...
                    Hmm, sounds like FUD to me. At this point, anything is more private than Windows 10/8.1/7

Comment

Working...
                    X