Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora 23 Is Now Under Its Final Freeze

Phoronix: Fedora 23 Is Now Under Its Final Freeze

As of Tuesday, Fedora 23 entered its final freeze in anticipation of its release later this month...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Was tempted to reinstall Fedora 22 just to clean-up my computer, but looks like I may as well just wait (wasn't aware release was later this month)

Comment

I tried stable fedora 22 recently and it was very buggy. And the main problem is DNF is very slow to use.

Comment

Originally posted by magika View Post
        I tried stable fedora 22 recently and it was very buggy. And the main problem is DNF is very slow to use.
        Is that a subjective impression, or an actual bug?

Comment

I've been using F22 since the day it was released. For the first week, probably due to number of concurrent downloads by many users, dnf servers were loaded and dnf appeared as slow. I just hung in and by the second week, dnf was up to speed. Since that day, I have found dnf to be dny. (dny = definitely not Yum). DNF is a winner solution, and the authors deserve great praise. It is fast, and quite flawless.

Comment

I've got close to 40 machines running F22 (VMs, netbooks, notebook, desktop, servers, etc).
            Can't say that I share your experience.

Thus far, F22 is *very* stable. (that's include dnf).

- Gilboa
            oVirt-HV1: Intel S2600C0, 2xE5-2658V2, 128GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX1080 (to-VM), Dell U3219Q, U2415, U2412M.
            oVirt-HV2: Intel S2400GP2, 2xE5-2448L, 120GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX730 (to-VM).
            oVirt-HV3: Gigabyte B85M-HD3, E3-1245V3, 32GB, 4x1TB, 2x480GB SSD, GTX980 (to-VM).
            Devel-2: Asus H110M-K, i5-6500, 16GB, 3x1TB + 128GB-SSD, F33.

Comment

No way, F22 is very stable. Fedora's ABRT does amazing job to chase the bugs.

Comment

Originally posted by pipe13 View Post
                Is that a subjective impression, or an actual bug?
                When things crash is that a subjective impression or an actual bug?
                Originally posted by lsatenstein View Post
                I've been using F22 since the day it was released. For the first week, probably due to number of concurrent downloads by many users, dnf servers were loaded and dnf appeared as slow. I just hung in and by the second week, dnf was up to speed. Since that day, I have found dnf to be dny. (dny = definitely not Yum). DNF is a winner solution, and the authors deserve great praise. It is fast, and quite flawless.
                By slow I did not mean download speed, which varies due to reasons, obviously, but actual package installation/removal process.
                ---
                Yeah and the most retarded bug I recall is the DNF wanting to uninstall all kernels on system upgrade and stalling on that, or if you --exclude, not performing actual upgrade process on reboot. No solution provided in bugzilla.
                Last edited by magika; 15 October 2015, 05:47 AM.

Comment

By slow I did not mean download speed, which varies due to reasons, obviously, but actual package installation/removal process. .
                  The "actual" package installation and removal is handled by RPM. Dnf isn't directly involved there but if you have filed bug reports, do cite them so it is more clear what you are talking about.

Comment

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post

The "actual" package installation and removal is handled by RPM. Dnf isn't directly involved there but if you have filed bug reports, do cite them so it is more clear what you are talking about.
                    Well, I don't care which part is slow if whole process is slow, there is nothing could be done about it either way.

As for particular bug report, it existed well before me with countless duplicates with no fix at that moment. As OS is not stable to work with, I'm no longer involved with it, feel free to google, symptoms I mentioned are enough to find them.

Comment

Working...
                    X