Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Core i5 6500 Is Looking Like A Nice $200 Skylake Processor

Phoronix: Intel Core i5 6500 Is Looking Like A Nice $200 Skylake Processor

The Core i5 6500 is an Intel Skylake CPU that's priced at $199 USD and has begun hitting retail channels. I ended up buying one for Linux benchmarking and have out my initial full Linux comparison and review tomorrow while in the article today are some early performance metrics...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It'd probably be a better idea to wait and see if Intel does the same thing with their skylake Xeon's as they did the haswell ones. If they do it will mean people will be able to buy an i7 without the integrated graphics at ~$240. It's honestly been Intel's only awesome price for the performance deal in years.

Comment

Basically standard chips without K are a bit boring, of course you can use em for a new pc, but a core speed of 3200, 3600 Turbo is not really impressive. It is certainly nothing you buy for an upgrade if you already own Sandy Bridge or newer. If i would buy a cpu, then only a K model in a Z board...

Comment

I'm waiting to see how the Xeon E3-1230 v5 performs, maybe I'll finally upgrade my sandy bridge. But then again, I might just wait and see what zen is all about.

Comment

You really want Xeon instead of a K? Why?

Comment

Originally posted by kenjitamura View Post
            It'd probably be a better idea to wait and see if Intel does the same thing with their skylake Xeon's as they did the haswell ones. If they do it will mean people will be able to buy an i7 without the integrated graphics at ~$240. It's honestly been Intel's only awesome price for the performance deal in years.
            It's a shame that so many new CPU models are worse performance wise than old K models. E.g. 2600K, 3770K, 4770K. At least in Europe the currency has gone down so much that the new CPUs are more expensive by a huge margin. Imagine paying 70-100% more for 6700K than old 3770K. Also DDR4 memory is really expensive and again performance wise you only get better performance with the most expensive sticks. The 2-3 slowest frequencies in DDR4 are slower than DDR3.

Comment

Generally the i5 6500 is good, but it appears to have driver issues. The latest Intel Graphics Driver Installer refuses to install under Ubuntu 15.04. Anyone else had such an experience ? Intel are being very quiet regarding this question...

Comment

Originally posted by OrenMaurice View Post
                Generally the i5 6500 is good, but it appears to have driver issues. The latest Intel Graphics Driver Installer refuses to install under Ubuntu 15.04. Anyone else had such an experience ? Intel are being very quiet regarding this question...
                Graphics Driver Installer what? mesa-git + xf86-video-intel

Comment

Originally posted by magika View Post
                  Graphics Driver Installer what? mesa-git + xf86-video-intel
                  I guess Intel's GDI is git replacement, something to use instead of git, next>next>finish>reboot style... but i might be 'rong

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
                    You really want Xeon instead of a K? Why?
                    Because coolness is something I'd rather avoid in a cpu ...

Comment

Working...
                    X