Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OpenSUSE 42.1 Leap Hits Release Candidate

Phoronix: OpenSUSE 42.1 Leap Hits Release Candidate

The release candidate has arrived for openSUSE 42.1 "Leap" in anticipation of the distribution's official debut in early November...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Can anyone tell me, with the exception of RHEL-based distros like CentOS and Scientific Linux, is openSUSE Leap the only non-commercial Linux distribution to include large amounts of the core of the OS going through commercial, enterprise-grade QA before ever going to end users? Do you think that that commercial QA like that undertaken by Red Hat and SUSE is significantly 'better' than what the likes of the Debian community or Slackware's developers can do?

Comment

Originally posted by korrode View Post
      Can anyone tell me, with the exception of RHEL-based distros like CentOS and Scientific Linux, is openSUSE Leap the only non-commercial Linux distribution to include large amounts of the core of the OS going through commercial, enterprise-grade QA before ever going to end users? Do you think that that commercial QA like that undertaken by Red Hat and SUSE is significantly 'better' than what the likes of the Debian community or Slackware's developers can do?

I think "enterprise-grade QA" is primary focused on enterprise software and hardware, where community is not capable to test. Like mainframes, power processors, oracle database, SAP, etc. But for desktop usage and for apache web servers are community tested distros better. Ubuntu has much more desktop users => much more desktop testers, much more bugs found and fixed. And Debian is in the same position on web servers.

So I think it is sad, that Leap is SLE based, because it was better tested with HW and SW which I don't have and it is less tested on HW and SW which I have. Fortunately kernel, mesa, gnome is not from less tested SLE.
      Last edited by Leinad; 15 October 2015, 12:22 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X