Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Features To Start Getting You Excited For Linux 4.4

Phoronix: Features To Start Getting You Excited For Linux 4.4

While it's still likely to be a few weeks before the Linux 4.3 kernel is officially released, there's already changes building up for landing in the Linux 4.4 merge window. Here's a very early look at some of the new functionality to expect for Linux 4.4...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

So far doesn't excite me as much as 4.2 or 4.3.

Comment

Looking at the AMDGPU last commits, it looks like to me they're working on being able to fully recover from a gpu hang in applications (and are almost there).
      Sounds very cool, as currently tonga suffers from some random hangs (likely some driver issues).

Comment

Not very exciting for AMD Kaveri users out there, no?

Comment

Looking forward to the next "KDBUS merge was skipped for this release, as Linus doesn't think the code quality is high enough" story

Comment

Originally posted by GraysonPeddie View Post
            Not very exciting for AMD Kaveri users out there, no?
            If you aren't feel so experimental to try amdgpu on Kaveri, then no... sdma rework touches cik_sdma, dunno why they bother with it still

Maybe Catalyst wants to support all GCNs with amdgpu, but not opensource part... don't have other explination
            Last edited by dungeon; 15 October 2015, 07:36 PM.

Comment

I would like some clarification on what exactly Michael means by "TEGRA improvements". Pretty much anything with "Tegra" in it is exciting for me.

Comment

Originally posted by tajjada View Post
                I would like some clarification on what exactly Michael means by "TEGRA improvements". Pretty much anything with "Tegra" in it is exciting for me.
                Link is in article, which goes to another article, further to the link to Ben's repo where you can read Alex's commits and commits has comments what is it about.
                Last edited by dungeon; 16 October 2015, 05:31 AM.

Comment

Meh... The THP refcount redesign and support for madvise(MADV_FREE) are much more interesting, IMHO.
                  Last edited by HyperDrive; 16 October 2015, 07:00 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post

If you aren't feel so experimental to try amdgpu on Kaveri, then no... sdma rework touches cik_sdma, dunno why they bother with it still
                    It's not nice to arbitrarily break the build for certain asics just because we aren't actively used. It's also useful as a test platform when debuging problems on specific asics, e.g., to see if a problem is a general issue or if it is specific to a certain generation.

Comment

Working...
                    X