Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X.Org Is Trying To Figure Out Where To Host XDC2016

Phoronix: X.Org Is Trying To Figure Out Where To Host XDC2016

If you'd like to propose a location in Europe to host the X.Org Developers' Conference (XDC) next year and are willing to organize the event, the X.Org Foundation wants to hear from you...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

There is no formal process or due dates for XDC proposals since there it is extremely rare for us to have multiple proposals. Usually, we talk about this at the XDC and plan for the next one there. This email is just saying that we will decide on the next XDC's location at the next meeting. If someone has an interest in organizing it, the person should make himself/herself known. Two weeks is plenty of time for that!

So, now tell me how is this mismanagement? If we had just said the next XDC was going to be in Helsinki, you would not have complained about anything. I understand that we are bad at management, but this is actually an improvement right here!

Comment

Originally posted by M?P?F View Post
      There is no formal process or due dates for XDC proposals since there it is extremely rare for us to have multiple proposals. Usually, we talk about this at the XDC and plan for the next one there. This email is just saying that we will decide on the next XDC's location at the next meeting. If someone has an interest in organizing it, the person should make himself/herself known. Two weeks is plenty of time for that!

So, now tell me how is this mismanagement? If we had just said the next XDC was going to be in Helsinki, you would not have complained about anything. I understand that we are bad at management, but this is actually an improvement right here!
      It just seems that each year the process is different. Perhaps if it was more formal (or just advertised more) like what's done by GUADEC or Fedora folks and such, that it might lead to new proposals and new people becoming involved to help out (people interested in X.Org/Mesa/Wayland and wanting to help out, but not necessarily a developer but may have good organizational experience or passionate about their town). In regards to the two weeks, if someone was to ask their employer/whoever about free conference space possibility, that could be too soon for some companies/organizations to come to a decision.

Am I the only one to ever write a "formal" proposal for an XDC? (http://www.michaellarabel.com/misc/x...o-proposal.pdf) When I did that, IIRC, it was then several meetings before they came to a decision even though I think I was the only one? So yeah, just every year the process/turnaround time in coming to decisions for XDC seems quite different, which is my gripe, besides a desire if more people from the community would step up to formally organize XDCs.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Fair-enough, we can discuss that at the next meeting and propose one.

As for the formal proposal, yes, I think you were the only one. Right now, what we are asking is merely for people to say if they are interested in proposing something. If someone is, then we can definitely delay the decision. If not, then we will take it at the next meeting. We are not asking for anything as detailed as what you did, we only ask about where the venue would be and I guess a rough estimate of the price. We then ask about restaurants and accommodation around the venue but we then trust the person who proposes to make the best possible choice, we merely provide recommendations.

Comment

Working...
        X