Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE's Guidelines For The Plasma Mobile Tablet/Phone Apps

Phoronix: KDE's Guidelines For The Plasma Mobile Tablet/Phone Apps

Thomas Pfeiffer has been working on the Human Inteface Guidelines (HIG) for KDE applications on phones/tablets...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Simple and beautiful, I really like the way KDE evolves graphically.

Comment

This is the way to do GUI's.
      Make them scalable is the way to go.
      Much better than the developing of completely different UI paradigms for mobile and desktop, then putting the mobile GUI paradigm with some tweaks on tablets.
      GUI designers need to take into account people can use their computers/tablets/smartphones with touchscreen and more traditional input devices.

Comment

Yes... way to evolve, copying the Metro design from Microsoft. And the one that failed and had to scale down substantially on Windows 10.
        KDE folks perhaps should stop stroking their designer egos, and perhaps fix the desktop on KDE 5, so that is stable. (Btw, it's kinda shameful to be already above 5.3 and that the piece of shit still crashes randomly, perhaps should still be 5.0 BETA).

Comment

Originally posted by behrz View Post
          Yes... way to evolve, copying the Metro design from Microsoft. And the one that failed and had to scale down substantially on Windows 10.
          I don't remember people complaining about Mettro UI being bad for tablets. It was an improvement (although for a touch unfriendly OS anything else would be an improvement).
          The main problem people had was microsoft forcing tablet mode on desktop users.

Comment

Originally posted by behrz View Post
            KDE folks perhaps should stop stroking their designer egos, and perhaps fix the desktop on KDE 5, so that is stable. (Btw, it's kinda shameful to be already above 5.3 and that the piece of shit still crashes randomly, perhaps should still be 5.0 BETA).
            1. Microsoft didn't scale down the Modern design in Windows 10, they actually enhanced it dramatically. Instead of a semi-pretty mobile-only HIG, they actually worked out something just like this (different UIs for different devices) and made the toolkits for developers much better.

2. The KDE Visual Design Group is completely separate from the devs. I think less than half of them know how to code in any substantial way. They're only purpose is to make KDE prettier and easier to use. But you'd know this if you looked it up at all before spewing shit on a forum.

3. Plasma 5 is completely stable for me. I had one weird Kwin interaction with Plasma since upgrading to KF/Plasma 5 around 5.3 that was a packaging issue and was fixed pretty quickly. Maybe you just don't know how to use a computer? There are classes for that :P

Comment

Plasma 5 is the best improvement of KDe making this distro graphically essential providing acceleratin on desktop environment supported by wayland. IMHO the best linux distro. Currently it lacks of an own Qtwebengine browser and has to improve reducing the number of instances.
              Last edited by Azrael5; 17 October 2015, 06:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post

1. Microsoft didn't scale down the Modern design in Windows 10, they actually enhanced it dramatically. Instead of a semi-pretty mobile-only HIG, they actually worked out something just like this (different UIs for different devices) and made the toolkits for developers much better.

2. The KDE Visual Design Group is completely separate from the devs. I think less than half of them know how to code in any substantial way. They're only purpose is to make KDE prettier and easier to use. But you'd know this if you looked it up at all before spewing shit on a forum.

3. Plasma 5 is completely stable for me. I had one weird Kwin interaction with Plasma since upgrading to KF/Plasma 5 around 5.3 that was a packaging issue and was fixed pretty quickly. Maybe you just don't know how to use a computer? There are classes for that :P

1. Metro better as it is, is also far from what they introduced in Windows 8... As for the SDKs, that's a different topic, but yes they are better.

2. Really? Had no idea... And who do you think implements the designs those guys come up with?? And all those changes introduce a whole new batch of problems, but by the time they get to fixing those... guess what, a new design iteration so no time for bug fixing, just "make it flat!", btw, changing a PNG or some CSS is not all that is involved in changing designs. Maybe you just don't know how software works, Uh?.

3. There's another entire thread talking about Plasma 5 instability, so works for you boohoo! Cool right, but here's a maybe, just because works on a few specific configurations, doesn't make it stable across the board.

Comment

Working...
                X