Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using Valve's Steam Controller On Ubuntu Linux

Phoronix: Using Valve's Steam Controller On Ubuntu Linux

Valve's Steam Controller has begun shipping to those who pre-ordered the device earlier this year. Phoronix reader Thomas Frech (a.k.a. Qaridarium) has shared some of his thoughts about using the controller for some Linux gaming on Ubuntu...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Oh, boy. Well, I am even more excited now. Thanks Thomas!

Comment

UPS says mine is coming tomorrow. I plan on trying out CS:GO and Shadow of Mordor. Torchlight 2 might also be interesting. Might start with a puzzle game just to get used to it.

Comment

"Thanks to Qaridarium for writing this article" DAFUQ?!?

Comment

I just got mine Friday (10/16/15). It's a pretty nifty controller. On Windows, it has a set default of what button corresponds to what, and it cannot be changed. Changing for a specific game is also not obvious. Software aside though, the controller is a very smooth piece of hardware. The touchpads on both sides are very responsive (although the sensitivity seems a bit low for the mouse... again, software). The analog is very accurate with very little room for the need for a deadzone. The trigger is also unexpectedly accurate. Not all is good though...

1. The D-pad and the left touchpad are the same thing. The touchpad is really one big button, much like you'd see on a laptop. Now... the problem with this is the button requires quite a bit of force. Thus, it's not really usable when you need a D-pad that's quick and responsive. This can be avoided with software where you don't need to press the button in order to give a D-pad signal but... I don't see how to do that with the current software.

2. This isn't really a downside... but you have to adjust your hands in a way you might be unfamiliar with compared to say... the Xbox or PS4 controllers. Your index finger is to sit on the top button and your middle finger is to sit on the trigger, where your ring and pinky sit on the back side of the controller for the back triggers. The reason for this is moves your thumb in a way to where it has more of a downward angle on the touchpads and gives an easier reach for the buttons and analog (which are quite inward otherwise). This took awhile for me to adjust but after an hour or so, I rekt a couple games on Rocket League just fine.

So, aside from the notes above, the controller is pretty smooth. However, for it to be a replacement for the PS4 or Xbox controller, I need software to back it up because bindings are not even close to what I need them to be. I don't mind configuring everything myself, but I can't even do that at the moment it seems.

NOTE: You need to update the firmware via the Steam client. Do not ignore the damn message and then post about issues. That's stupid.
          NOTE: I've only used it on Windows so far. Lots of FFXIV/Rocket League as of late

Comment

I've been looking for a wireless controller for my Linux HTPC that is HID compliant. Anyone have any luck with power management and the Steam controller? Specifically, can you keep your system awake while gaming by using the controller, and can you wake your system from sleep mode with the controller?

Here's more info on my quest: http://askubuntu.com/q/655531/171608

Comment

Originally posted by computerquip View Post
              NOTE: You need to update the firmware via the Steam client.
              Well, there's the end of my interest in it.

Comment

How does the controller compare to the Wii U Pro controller?
                I got it for dolphin and I'm pretty happy with it, but curious about Steam's.

Comment

I like the controller quite a bit. The configuration utility is really impressive, you can dial in all the facets of the controller, especially the track pads, in so many different ways. I don't see this ever being my control method for shooters, it's better than a xbox or PS3/4 controller at aiming, but it's still not as good as using a mouse. Still, for strategy games or isometric RPGs, game types that have traditionally not worked well with a controller, it works really well.

Comment

Why would you not update the firmware...?

Comment

Working...
                    X