Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 15.10's Kernel Is Biting Some Radeon Hardware

Phoronix: Ubuntu 15.10's Kernel Is Biting Some Radeon Hardware

While Ubuntu 15.10 is set to ship next week and has passed its final freeze a few days ago, the default kernel of Ubuntu 15.10 is running into some troubles with select Radeon GPUs on the open-source driver...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

No problems on my R7 360 (Bonaire), using paulo-miguel-dias PPA.

Comment

Got some problems too on Arch with R9 270X and Kernel 4.2 running RadeonSI. Black screen at boot after Plymouth. Last time I checked (4.2.2) it was not fixed. Kernel 4.1 runs fine, so let's wait a bit longer...

Comment

On my R7 360 (Bonaire) with the Radeon driver and the stock Ubuntu install, I haven't had problems like you describe.
        But I have had to rebuild the system so many times since I got it 10 days ago that my experience is not normal :-)

Comment

I just upgraded my Debian box with HD7850 to 4.2.3-2 and had a hard hang when KDE started. Nothing in the logs. After rebooting it came up. That hasn't happened to me in a long time.

Comment

Originally posted by rrohbeck View Post
            I just upgraded my Debian box with HD7850 to 4.2.3-2 and had a hard hang when KDE started. Nothing in the logs. After rebooting it came up. That hasn't happened to me in a long time.
            Recently xserver enable logind support for Sid, and provide wrapper for legacy. Some users can't login stright without additional package(s) there. But that is Sid only currently, depends if you use or not systemd, have or not logind working or kms or non kms drivers... If you are on Sid and didn't upgrade in let say last two weeks or more, it might be something like that
            Last edited by dungeon; 18 October 2015, 08:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post

Recently xserver enable logind support for Sid, some users can't login without additional package(s) there. But that is Sid only currently, depends if you use or not systemd, have or not logind working or kms or non kms drivers... If you are on Sid and didn't upgrade in let say last two weeks or more, it might be something like that
              This was during KDE startup and it was a hard hang as in keyboard LEDs don't react and system doesn't respond to ping any more.

Comment

On debian stretch using an intel ivy bridge, I had many graphical glitches using linux 4.2. Switched back to 4.1 and the glitches went away. Is this possibly related?

Comment

OK if it si radeon bug and if you guys have reproducible case, that is beauty - bisecting will tell you.

Originally posted by reub2000 View Post
                  On debian stretch using an intel ivy bridge, I had many graphical glitches using linux 4.2. Switched back to 4.1 and the glitches went away. Is this possibly related?
                  It might be related, if it is some common gem/ttm bug flawing around Otherwise it is some another intel only regression.
                  Last edited by dungeon; 18 October 2015, 08:46 PM.

Comment

I also hit this bug yesterday, but on Gentoo instead of Ubuntu. This is not my gaming system, but I decided to try and run Xonotic to see how it would perform. I played for about 1-2 min, when the screen turned black, and the graphics card fan started spinning at maximum speed. The xonotic music/sound kept playing, and I could toggle NumLock on/off, so I knew that the kernel wasn't dead. I just hardreset the system, and didn't bother trying to look at logs or find out what exactly the issue is (I don't play games on this system anyway).

This leads me to think that the problem might be with recent versions upstream kernel/mesa(/xorg?), since both the bleeding-edge Ubuntu as well as my bleeding-edge Gentoo seem to have the problem.

Comment

Working...
                    X