Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu Phone Hit By Its First Exploit

Phoronix: Ubuntu Phone Hit By Its First Exploit

Last week an application was pushed into the Ubuntu Phone Software Store that when installed would give an intruder root access and modify the boot splash screen...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Somehow i get the fealing that the 15 users is pretty large percentage of Ubuntu phone users.

Comment

Maybe the userbase is small, but i don't care. I still want to have the phone they offered on indigogo from 2014 in a modern version
      I think it had 4 Cores 4 GB memory and 128GB Storage + USB 3.0, back then it was very nice. (https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/ubuntu-edge#/)

Comment

Originally posted by Nille_kungen View Post
        Somehow i get the fealing that the 15 users is pretty large percentage of Ubuntu phone users.

Size isn't everything

Technically it was 13 because 2 of the 15 were Canonical people downloading the app for analysis, which represents a tiny fraction of the user base (thankfully!).

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
          It looks like everything should be sealed up by now but if you want to learn more about this Ubuntu Phone security snafu, see this blog post.
          http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...-First-Exploit
          Can you elaborate on the "snafu" aspect?

How has this issue not been dealt with professionally?

Comment

This is old news and has been resolved swiftly and professionally. I agree with dholbach that snafu is highly derogatory and does not accurately describe what happened.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerberus View Post
              This is old news and has been resolved swiftly and professionally. I agree with dholbach that snafu is highly derogatory and does not accurately describe what happened.
              Didn't mean it as derogatory, or at least I don't consider it to be that, but perhaps bit poor choice of wording for writing my first article of the day before getting my dose of coffee.
              Michael Larabel
              https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

The dictionary definition is pretty clear and undeniably derogatory.
                snafu

[sna-foo, snaf-oo]
                Spell Syllables

noun 1. a badly confused or ridiculously muddled situation

Comment

Slightly off topic but it looks like Ubuntu Touch OTA-7 was released today.

Has anyone here got a Ubuntu Touch and if so is it getting closer to prime time yet or is it still only really for developers?

Comment

Very swift reaction by canonical, especially if you're used to how Google and phone vendors deal with security issues. Took over a month to get an upgrade for my Moto X 2014 fixing the stagefright issue.

Comment

Working...
                    X