Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SuperTuxKart 0.9.1 Brings Track Updates, Improved Audio Handling

Phoronix: SuperTuxKart 0.9.1 Brings Track Updates, Improved Audio Handling

As the first update since the huge SuperTuxKart 0.9 release back in April that ushered in its OpenGL 3 engine, SuperTuxKart 0.9.1 is now available...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Last time I tried SuperTuxKart it felt pretty dull and boring.
    I don't know if it was just me.
    But it felt soulless.

Comment

My daughter plays it sometimes but she's stuck with 0.8 because her old laptop only has i915 graphics. The new TTF renderer sounds nice though, the bitmap fonts are one of the most amateurish things about it.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
        But it felt soulless.
        It feels unfinished as many other opensource games - kernel included.

Why 0.9 is slow? Because developer bought new card.

And so on...
        Last edited by dungeon; 20 October 2015, 05:15 AM.

Comment

That's harsh criticism

I remember some kids played version 0.8 at my place. They were used to modern mainstream systems including recent iterations of Mario Kart and found STK very fun. They didn't care about the fact it didn't look that modern and found the gameplay was very cool. Of course, this isn't a proper game review, but it means maybe they were able to focus on the game itself !

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
            But it felt soulless.
            I saw it a while back and gameplay did seem slow and detached. if only more kart games would handle like Crash Team Racing...

Comment

Originally posted by torturedutopian View Post
              That's harsh criticism

I remember some kids played version 0.8 at my place. They were used to modern mainstream systems including recent iterations of Mario Kart and found STK very fun. They didn't care about the fact it didn't look that modern and found the gameplay was very cool. Of course, this isn't a proper game review, but it means maybe they were able to focus on the game itself !
              Well main point 0.8 vs 0.9 is new graphic engine and unfinished karts/tracks, maybe 0.9.3 will have complete tracks in new engine.

Comment

The previous version is almost playable with Intel i7 5775C integrated graphics (@ 1080p or 1440p). Maybe the next generation Intel graphics can run it without slowdowns.

Comment

Originally posted by torturedutopian View Post
                  That's harsh criticism

Not very harsh i talking about 0.8 vs 0.9 difference. Not tramendious graphics like 0.9. but 0.8 then 0.8.1 had finished karts and tracks, while with this new negine 0.9 and 0.9.1 have it half working half borked... so it feels just unfinished

I checked out d a little 0.9.1 and sorry just delete it , i think i will compile this one 0.8.1 with updates fork which i like more:

GitHub is where people build software. More than 100 million people use GitHub to discover, fork, and contribute to over 420 million projects.

Comment

Hello

I'm the lead artist of the project and I will try to answer your questions

1) About the performances. Our new engine is a bit more demanding and yes you need a more powerful computer. But we can't stick always to the past. If newer version are too slow you can always try to:
                    -> Join us and try to improve performances (like making low end version of maps)
                    -> Use older versions.
                    -> You don't have to play the game in full HD with ultra settings.
                    -> Buy a new PC/GPU

2) All tracks in 0.9.x branch are finished. Some of them are brand new (namely Cocoa temple / grand paradiso) and they fully use the new engine. Other tracks are just updated because making brand new tracks is very time consuming and difficult. It takes a lot of time especially considering I'm almost alone doing artwork/tracks.
                    If we had a descent budget and art team I would LOVE to make a set of 20 brand new tracks. If you want to help us and you know how to use blender you are welcome.

3) Of course gameplay is subjective. I think one of the issue is trying to play SuperTuxKart and expecting Mario Karts rule to apply. A bit like starting Linux and thinking it will be like windows. I discovered this while testing Mario Kart (I only recently started to play to Mario kart) and control just felt strange and the kart handling seemed weird. I'm sure MK is fine but I try to play MK with my STK knowledge and it doesn't work.

Personally I find both fun and enjoyable. STK is different we have pro and con but we don't pretend to be a free version of MK. We are a go kart racing game with Tux. Previous version of STK where a bit boring but IMHO the newer branch (0.9.x) is better.

We hope you have a lot of fun

Comment

Working...
                    X