Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OwnCloud Server 8.2 Released

Phoronix: OwnCloud Server 8.2 Released

The next version of ownCloud, a popular open-source alternative to Dropbox for file hosting, has been released. Meet ownCloud 8.2...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Has anyone used this? My fileserver is running Samba for filesharing, would I be better off using this? What's the install / setup like?

Edit: ignore me, I'm an idiot, this won't work as a replacement for Samba, I'd have to have as much disk space on my computer as I do on my server, which basically would eradicate the need for a server, and cost me a lot of money.
    Last edited by kaprikawn; 20 October 2015, 11:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post
      Has anyone used this? My fileserver is running Samba for filesharing, would I be better off using this? What's the install / setup like?

Edit: ignore me, I'm an idiot, this won't work as a replacement for Samba, I'd have to have as much disk space on my computer as I do on my server, which basically would eradicate the need for a server, and cost me a lot of money.
      The server and clients don't have to be carbon copies of each other. You can sync individual folders / subfolders and exclude others. Personally I like it more than samba since I can enable external access without a VPN, but if you just need local access then you can stick with samba
      All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

I've kicked around the idea of using this, but lately I've been running my own copy of the Sandstorm.io service (they can host for you, but it's all open source so you can run your own).

Comment

I use it on my self-hosted server. It's pretty nice for things like sharing family photos or sharing files with your acquaintances, as well as for things on the go, like access to your music database. It also works as an alternative for site downloads. The nice thing about it is that unlike any other service, the space is only limited by your hard disk (and I use a 1 TB drive), and of course there is no catch, no advertising and stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post

I have a raid server at home. I use samba for local network access, and owncloud for external access and sharing, on the same data. Works reasonnably well.

Comment

Just want to chime in with the love for ownCloud. I've been using it for a couple of years, and it works remarkably well. I have a couple of files that I want to have easy access to from where ever I happen to be, and ownCloud is perfect for that. Also, I've noticed that I tend to use it a lot for sending files to and from my phone, using the Android app. Very cool.

Comment

Working...
              X