Imagination Tech Is Still Looking For A Linux Graphics Driver Developer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Imagination Tech Is Still Looking For A Linux Graphics Driver Developer

Phoronix: Imagination Tech Is Still Looking For A Linux Graphics Driver Developer

Back in July I wrote about how Imagination Technologies was looking for a Linux graphics driver developer that would include working on portions of their yet-to-be-public open-source driver. Well, with developers having experience with Linux graphics drivers being in short supply, Imagination has yet to fill this position...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

How big are my chances if I don't yet know enough about mesa, but have experience in MIPS kernel development, and live in mainland Europe?

Comment

Originally posted by mlau View Post
      How big are my chances if I don't yet know enough about mesa, but have experience in MIPS kernel development, and live in mainland Europe?
      alexvoica can probably comment.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

No reason you can't give them a shot. Though taking the weekend to try just doing a documentation pass on some Mesa code or fixing some trivial bug would probably dramatically increase your chances if you can show at least one approved patch submission.

Comment

I would say that there is nothing preventing you to apply. If you are hired I believe they will offer you a relocation allowance, and probably help you with other things too, like opening a bank account. I worked for them a few years ago, it was a great experience. Just show them that your are passionate and that you can write good code, you will be on the right path.

Comment

This is probably not for writing an open source driver. People applying here will probably end up doing customer support and customer specific adaptation of the GPLed kernel driver (hard legal requirement) and the close userspace (which includes microcode).

Comment

It depends if this is really what you want to do but the job is quite specific about the requirements. I would also recommend searching through our other vacancies if you're keen to continue working on Linux kernel development for MIPS (for example). However, if you want to do driver work, the skill set is a bit different/specialized.

libv We have already been doing the things you've mentioned in the past since (like you've highlighted) they are mandatory from a legal perspective anyway.

Comment

• PowerVR GPU information (Avoid Imgtec PowerVR like the plague if you're building an open source SoC. Not only is Imgtec actively hostile towards open source, their GPUs have a crazy HW architecture even they have problems building stable drivers for)
                from https://github.com/laanwj/etna_viv/w...lated-projects

We are talking about the same company?

Comment

Originally posted by nadrimajstor View Post
                  We are talking about the same company?
                  I certainly am not "actively hostile" towards any developer who would attempt to build an open source driver for PowerVR. For the second part of that quote, I would kindly refer you to
                  In light of the recent announcements by NVIDIA and AMD in support of Linux for their graphics drivers, we would like to share with the world some of the experience we had developing our open source project, Dolphin, a GameCube and Wii emulator for Windows, Linux, Mac and recently Android....

I recently asked one Dolphin Emulator dev what he thought of our PowerVR Rogue GPU driver (he was testing a MediaTek Helio X10 device) and he said:

"There's nothing immediately terrible that jumps out. I've discovered one bug, but it wasn't too bad."

Comment

alexvoica Hmm interesting, when I applied in early August I was told that the position is already taken...
                    I guess either a misunderstanding or I didn't fit the bill and someone didn't want to hurt my feelings;p

Comment

Working...
                    X