Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME Games 3.18: A New App To Organize Your Linux Games

Phoronix: GNOME Games 3.18: A New App To Organize Your Linux Games

There's a new GNOME application called Games -- not to be confused with the few GNOME games out there like Sudoku and Solitaire. GNOME Games is not a game itself but intended as a tool for managing your game library...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

They could have chosen a different name. "Gnome Games" takes one back to the days when sudoku, aisleriot. etc. were all grouped into one package.

Comment

When I last used windows, it was vista. They had something like this at the time. I never really used it then, either, but I can see why it would be useful in that environment because their menu was in alphabetical order of the software developer name (or a mix of that and the actual software name. Either way, it was crazy). So, since gnome has gone away from a normal linux menu, perhaps it would be useful in that environment?

I don't know. I don't use Gnome, and the whole menu thing is one of the main reasons why. I know that I can add extensions, but I am always leary of that. Understand, I am not flaming Gnome. I am glad it exists, but it isn't what I prefer. If you add a regular menu, I find it hard to see how this could be useful, unless you had the ability to add tags (RTS, FPS, etc) to the games.

Comment

I'm a three days old Gnome user and I understood one thing... Menus suck! Long live the superkey!
        Gnome Games can be useful indeed.

Comment

Originally posted by Apopas View Post
          I'm a three days old Gnome user and I understood one thing... Menus suck! Long live the superkey!
          You know you can use both, in any environment, right?

Comment

I don't know about KDE, but I also find the superkey very useful in GNOME. The idea is not just to pop up a menu with a list of applications, in GNOME you just hit superkey and start typing whatever you want and the results are seamless. It's a very nice piece of UX they made here.

Comment

Originally posted by Apopas View Post
              indeed, especially if they incorporate some kind of user tweaking per game that is managed from central repository.

Comment

Originally posted by Creak View Post
                I don't know about KDE, but I also find the superkey very useful in GNOME. The idea is not just to pop up a menu with a list of applications, in GNOME you just hit superkey and start typing whatever you want and the results are seamless. It's a very nice piece of UX they made here.
                Right. I use kde, and I have super+space set up for krunner, which is what you are talking about. No menu, it just gives you results from what you type. Admittedly, I do not remember the exact behavior of what happens in gnome, but I have a guess. As is typical, the results in kde CAN give you a whole lot of stuff, not just the application. You can of course configure this, but I am guessing that gnome has it simplified by default. Pluses and minuses to both approaches.

In any event, I will try it out next time I am in a gnome environment.

Comment

Originally posted by shawnsterp View Post

I know only one thing, I'm never gonna use menus and launchers ever again. I'm even trying to figure how I can get rid of Gnome's default dock. Totally useless.

Comment

Originally posted by shawnsterp View Post
                    When I last used windows, it was vista. They had something like this at the time. I never really used it then, either, but I can see why it would be useful in that environment because their menu was in alphabetical order of the software developer name (or a mix of that and the actual software name. Either way, it was crazy). So, since gnome has gone away from a normal linux menu, perhaps it would be useful in that environment?

I don't know. I don't use Gnome, and the whole menu thing is one of the main reasons why. I know that I can add extensions, but I am always leary of that. Understand, I am not flaming Gnome. I am glad it exists, but it isn't what I prefer. If you add a regular menu, I find it hard to see how this could be useful, unless you had the ability to add tags (RTS, FPS, etc) to the games.
                    If you are a gamer you'll have a sizeable amount of games installed and the last thing you'd want is all all those games cluttering the applications menu. When you have hundreds of games a menu is really impractical, any kind of menu, as you would end up with a ginormous monstrosity or a nested mess of categories. That's one of the reasons I don't create menu shortcuts when I install a steam game.

Comment

Working...
                    X