Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Massive SteamOS Graphics Card Comparison Is Coming

Phoronix: A Massive SteamOS Graphics Card Comparison Is Coming

With Steam Machines shipping next month and more gamers potentially giving SteamOS a shot on their system or custom-built living room PC, a large AMD Radeon and NVIDIA GeForce graphics comparison with SteamOS 2.0 "Brewmaster" is in the works. Here's the details...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

compared to ubuntu? and btw, it sucks than dota 2 cannot be properly benchmarked, I hope than valve is aware of it.

Comment

good job, i only support by disabling ad-blocker, he4

Comment

Originally posted by edoantonioco View Post
        compared to ubuntu? and btw, it sucks than dota 2 cannot be properly benchmarked, I hope than valve is aware of it.
        Ya, especially since it's now on the Source2 engine with a really good native openGL impelmentation.

Michael has solid contacts at Valve so I wonder if he has pursued this. They are patching the game constantly so hopefully it will show up at some point.

Comment

Great new! Can't wait to see the result

Thx Michael!

Comment

Only Steam-based games are being tested such as Counter-Strike: Global Offensive, DiRT Showdown, Metro Last Light Redux, Team Fortress 2, and the other Steam-based tests that I'm able to fully-automated with the Phoronix Test Suite.
            From those mentioned and with Catalyst 15.7 side i think only TF2 should be fine, needs 15.9 for couple other mentioned to render or perform fine.

But Valve will probably update it soon, as driver is in Debian backports.

Comment

Some games to test (mentioned this in top article)

Warthunder (works with OSS if OPENGL4.1 flag fix is used)
              ARMA3 (don't think works with OSS)
              ARK (unknown about OSS)

All these games work with closed drivers, the open-source ones are scratchy at best and will likely perform shockingly so because their more designed for synthetic test Vs real gaming ;-p

I assume SteamOS is running Kernel LTS (ie 3.18/19), if they ever update to Kernel 4.2++, AMD users are going to be in for a SHOCK!

Comment

Good idea, but please do not use a Haswell-E, use Skylake, thats more mainstream.

Comment

Nice idea, but please don't use a Haswell-E for benchmarks. Just a "normal" desktop Skylake or Haswell would be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by theriddick View Post
                    Some games to test (mentioned this in top article)

Warthunder (works with OSS if OPENGL4.1 flag fix is used)
                    ARMA3 (don't think works with OSS)
                    ARK (unknown about OSS)

All these games work with closed drivers, the open-source ones are scratchy at best and will likely perform shockingly so because their more designed for synthetic test Vs real gaming ;-p

I assume SteamOS is running Kernel LTS (ie 3.18/19), if they ever update to Kernel 4.2++, AMD users are going to be in for a SHOCK!
                    And how many of those games have an automated benchmark mode?
                    Michael Larabel
                    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Working...
                    X