PDF Digital Signatures/Verification Finally Coming To Open-Source Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PDF Digital Signatures/Verification Finally Coming To Open-Source Linux

Phoronix: PDF Digital Signatures/Verification Finally Coming To Open-Source Linux

The Poppler PDF rendering library that's widely used by Linux programs like GNOME's Evince, LibreOffice, Inkscape, Okular, and countless other programs for PDF handling, is finally nearing support for full digital signatures and verification support...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

A very useful feature.
    The one killer feature that I would absolutely LOVE to have is support for those annoying Adobe XFA forms though. There are some work-related forms that come in that format and I'm forced to keep the antiquated Acroread 9.5 installed just to fill in those stupid things.

Comment

Originally posted by chuckula View Post
      A very useful feature.
      The one killer feature that I would absolutely LOVE to have is support for those annoying Adobe XFA forms though. There are some work-related forms that come in that format and I'm forced to keep the antiquated Acroread 9.5 installed just to fill in those stupid things.
      Hopefully every proprietary part of the format will be removed with PDF 2.0

Comment

PDF is a very complex language with thousands of pages of specifications with many extensions.

It does images, signing, verification, 3D, scripting, and all kinds of stuff.
        So there is lots of room for exploits.

So make sure your PDF reader is sandboxed. Use AppArmor, sec_comp, virtualization or whatever.

Comment

For anyone interested there was this attempt from sometime ago to expose the poppler functionality onto Evince. It's old, but could be interesting for someone else: https://github.com/vascorsd/evince-signatures

Comment

Chuckula, I agree about the XFA forms. I already blogged about this at: List of useful features missing on the Linux Desktop

Comment

TBH I do not get why it so important. I use a lot of PDFs, because I design some electronics. But it's not like if I can remember itch to check some digital signatures. So at very most it could be something like "good to have", but again, checking signatures in reliable way isn't something which can be taken as granted.

Comment

Adobe's digital signing is rather proprietary so there should be standards on handling digital signatures within PDF's so that every PDF product out there and even the poppler library should be able to handle signing PDF documents portably so documents signed with Poppler for example should be able to be opened and recognized by Adobe Reader.

Comment

Please, vote for or help with https://bugs.launchpad.net/inkscape/+bug/1509830 to get this supported in Inkscape

Comment

Working...
                  X