Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu GNOME 15.10 Ships With Experimental Wayland Session

Phoronix: Ubuntu GNOME 15.10 Ships With Experimental Wayland Session

Alongside this morning's release of Ubuntu 15.10 and the other *buntu derivatives is also the latest version of Ubuntu GNOME...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Note that when running GNOME on Wayland pretty much everything runs over XWayland anyways, as far as I know.

Comment

The question is, is there an experimental Mir session when using Unity, and if so how does it compare to the Gnome session using Wayland?

Comment

Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post
        The question is, is there an experimental Mir session when using Unity, and if so how does it compare to the Gnome session using Wayland?
        You make it sound like someone actually cares about Unity

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
          Note that when running GNOME on Wayland pretty much everything runs over XWayland anyways, as far as I know.
          AFAIK most GNOME3 apps are ported.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post

Nope. As of GTK 3.16 everything defaults to the native Wayland backend when available.
            In my workflow the only non-native app is Chromium.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

Given your emoticon, you must be aware of the trollish nature of your comment. You realize that Unity is likely the most ubiquitous Linux desktop environment?

I personally like Unity - although I would prefer Canonical to support Wayland and avoid fragmentation on the display server protocol level.

Comment

Ha ha, there is that I suppose.

I'm fairly anti-Ubuntu, I dislike it intently, which is a shame because it was my first distro. I uninstalled it after the whole Mir fiasco. But even I'd admit that Unity has it's place. I had it on a netbook and it was fairly good there. I like it better than most DEs on anything with limited screen real estate.

Comment

People care about Unity because they care about Ubuntu which cares about Unity. 'Vanilla Ubuntu' could have been KDE, and then people would be caring a lot more about KDE.

Comment

Does anyone here know what Debian's status, regarding Nvidia and AMD support for GNOME 3.18.1/3.18.2 and configuring it to switch to Wayland, is presently?

Comment

Working...
                    X