Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora 23 Has Just Been Delayed By One Week

Phoronix: Fedora 23 Has Just Been Delayed By One Week

While Fedora 23 was looking good for doing an on-time release compared to some of their notorious delays of past releases, at the final go/no-go meeting it was decided to postpone the official release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Damn it. One more week for me on the out-of-support Fedora 20.

Comment

What's the state of RPM Fusion this time around?

Comment

Originally posted by brent View Post
        AFAIK, there building new updated stuff in RPMFusion master before releasing it to the wild, i wouldnt suggest installing f23 till f23 goes final or you'll be waiting awhile for RPMFusion to open the gates up

Comment

Given the minor but annoying bugs present in Gnome 3.18 I don't see this as a bad thing for people who use Fedora in any serious work context.

I mean if you install nouveau and then nvidia on arch gdm 3.18 won't start which I think may have something to do with the shader linkage in 3.18.

Everyone wants the software of tomorrow today - I've learned sometimes you gotta jump in and get your hands dirty if you want it straight from the dev's fingertips.

Comment

Originally posted by brent View Post
            There's a /23/ repository but you can't get access to it by default since its under /development/ and not /release/
            All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Delayed? Pft (goes and installs F23 Server RC2 onto server computers)

Comment

Fedora is smart to delay release if they've got a buggy mess on their hands. Rawhide can afford to have bugs cycle in and out, but a buggy release sent to people who are not hackers can permanently turn people off. People who are serious about wanting the new software now can and will get it and learn to work around the bugs, file bug reports/roll back/wait for fixes- or in some cases deal with them head on by working to fixing the code themselves.

Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post
                Everyone wants the software of tomorrow today - I've learned sometimes you gotta jump in and get your hands dirty if you want it straight from the dev's fingertips.
                "Get your hands dirty" indeed! Sometimes you have to do the development yourself if you REALLY want something. Example: not satisfied with any existing DE last Spring, I started playing with the MATE source code to support custom panel and applet themes different from the GTK theme like you have in gnome-shell and Cinnamon. I liked their shell themes, but not their heavy code. After a month of experimentation I had something that worked pretty well but the code was ugly hacks. I kept experimenting with it.

Now the 3ed generation version of my theming code has been merged upstream into MATE 1.11.0. Build it with gtk3 and the panel and applet menus respond to the .mate-panel-menu-bar .menu selector. Volume and brightness sliders respond to the .mate-panel-applet-slider .frame selector. No way I'd have gotten that without getting under the hood. Even if someone else had written it I would have still had to build it from git master because Ubuntu and Debian are a long way from packaging this DE with gtk3. Maybe Ubuntu 16.04 but I suspect 16.10 at least, Debian maybe sooner but I wanted and got this in Spring 2015, not Fall 2016.

Open source software often exists because someone wants it enough to write it and take care of it, and features exist because people want them enough to work with the rest of the community that keeps a project going. MATE exists because people loved GNOME 2 enough not to let it die-and GNOME exists because people wanted a totally free and open alternative to proprietary desktops like CDE and at that time QT and therefore KDE had licensing issues.

Comment

Good decision. Fedora 23 is beautiful but it has problem. I just tried to run a system upgrade and it said that I had to downgrade 139 packages. I did it from curiosity and after the downgrade I run again a system update and then it said that it had to update 139 packages...
                  I upgraded the packages again and now it says one more time that it needs to downgrade 139 packages... I let it be :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Apopas View Post
                    Good decision. Fedora 23 is beautiful but it has problem. I just tried to run a system upgrade and it said that I had to downgrade 139 packages. I did it from curiosity and after the downgrade I run again a system update and then it said that it had to update 139 packages...
                    I upgraded the packages again and now it says one more time that it needs to downgrade 139 packages... I let it be :-)
                    I used DNF to upgrade my F22 servers to F23 with relatively minor issues (one package on my webserver had to be uninstalled, but I reinstalled it after the upgrade), but I ended up just clean installing RC2 a few hours ago anyway, along with Workstation on my desktop.

I'm trying to gauge how important RPM fusion is currently. The only real thing I needed it for was that Dxtn thing for some Wine games and maybe Xonotic, but so far I'm not seeing any real issues.

The only issues my servers ran into was involving some 3rd-party server app I had to compile, and that ended up being resolved on their end (it also affected Ubuntu 15.10). I'm still setting stuff up, but so far F23 hasn't caused any showstopper or major issues

I still have 3 other computers to do though, so there's always room for chaos

Comment

Working...
                    X