Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kubuntu's Release Manager Calls It Quits

Phoronix: Kubuntu's Release Manager Calls It Quits

After Jonathan Riddell lost his leadership roles relating to Ubuntu, the future of Kubuntu became quite vague for after Kubuntu 15.10. Riddell has announced now that he's leaving Kubuntu...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Here's the link to reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comme...anager/cw9wtf1

Comment

Sad news. It seems Ubuntu(Leadership) is coming out of Ubuntu(philosophy).

Comment

Someone knows another nice KDE distro? It should easily support steam, the newest Wine, Eclipse (C/C++ and Java). Also a nice package managing would be nice, do not like to compile and install everything on my own.

Anyone knows hows OpenSuse doing? Last time i checked (about 2 years ago) all Nvidia-driver it provids were totally broken. (That was the cause why I switched to Kubuntu).
        Best Regards,
        Brillus

Comment

Originally posted by Brillus View Post
          Someone knows another nice KDE distro? It should easily support steam, the newest Wine, Eclipse (C/C++ and Java). Also a nice package managing would be nice, do not like to compile and install everything on my own.

Anyone knows hows OpenSuse doing? Last time i checked (about 2 years ago) all Nvidia-driver it provids were totally broken. (That was the cause why I switched to Kubuntu).
          Best Regards,
          Brillus
          Manjaro could use someone with his credentials.... I'm sure

Comment

Best Regards,
            Brillus
            I used KDE on Fedora 22 for a while and it was stable.
            It might be worthwhile trying OpenSuse again.
            Last, I haven't used the distribution in years but PCLinuxOS is pretty good and it uses KDE. I haven't used it recently because it doesn't have the enormous variety of packages you can get from Debian, Ubuntu, or Fedora. That's not to say the selection is bad - there are thousands of packages. But when I last tried PCLinuxOS I was on a Haskell kick and I don't think the GHC (the most commonly used Haskell compiler) was in the repositories.

Comment

Best Regards,
              Brillus
              I'll second Michael about Fedora kde. They upgrade their packages faster than ubuntu, which is nice. The only thing is, you basically can't use the beta because you can't get the restricted codecs from rpmfusion until full release. (Well, you CAANN, but I don't recommend it).

Comment

This is annoying. Kubuntu was such a great distro. I can change to something else for my home computer, but at work we rely on Debian based Linux. It would be a PITA to switch to Fedora for work. I hope he starts his own distro and calls it Kufucyu.

Comment

Anyone knows hows OpenSuse doing? Last time i checked (about 2 years ago) all Nvidia-driver it provids were totally broken.
                  I'm using openSUSE for a long time and never had any problems with nvidia drivers (https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:NVIDIA_drivers).

Comment

Originally posted by BreezeDM View Post
                    This is annoying. Kubuntu was such a great distro. I can change to something else for my home computer, but at work we rely on Debian based Linux. It would be a PITA to switch to Fedora for work. I hope he starts his own distro and calls it Kufucyu.
                    Take a look at Tanglu. It is debian based. Don't know much about it. I tried it on my netbook a while back and it seemed fine. Was very similar to kubuntu.

Comment

Working...
                    X