Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

22-Way Comparison Of NVIDIA & AMD Graphics Cards On SteamOS For Steam Linux Gaming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 22-Way Comparison Of NVIDIA & AMD Graphics Cards On SteamOS For Steam Linux Gaming

Phoronix: 22-Way Comparison Of NVIDIA & AMD Graphics Cards On SteamOS For Steam Linux Gaming

With Steam Machines set to begin shipping next month and SteamOS beginning to interest more gamers as an alternative to Windows for building a living room gaming PC, in this article I've carried out a twenty-two graphics card comparison with various NVIDIA GeForce and AMD Radeon GPUs while testing them on the Debian Linux-based SteamOS 2.0 "Brewmaster" operating system using a variety of Steam Linux games.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Man, AMD is terrible at drivers...

Comment

Nvidia's cards are also all over the place. What the hell's going on?

Comment

Originally posted by xeekei View Post
        Nvidia's cards are also all over the place. What the hell's going on?
        Huh? Did you read the graphs? Or look to see at the different generations of cards?
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

AMD drivers still terrible. people have been saying that they are improving for 5 years but seems nothing has changed

Comment

Pretty much as one would expect, GTX 960 is the current sweet spot mid range card. AMD is actually even worse off than I thought.
            Any money they save having shitty linux drivers will be lost in poor sales and maybe more importantly lost reputation in a whole community, which includes many game developers.
            If their goal is to force gamers to windows, I guess it's working, but it's not AMD getting the sales, it's Nvidia there too.

Comment

no big news, amd opengl catalyst drivers are bad, i can't understand why they don't give up from catalyst and put more ppl working in opensource driver

Comment

My current inexpensive Desktop with Radeon7970 (GNC1.1@2Tflops) and free drivers with Nine is the value for money Gpu for Linux. My current inexpensive Laptop with Radeon8850 (GNC1.0@1Tflop) is the value for money mGpu for Linux. Intel AVX Cpu with 3-3,5Ghz Turbo at least for only one core is necessary, for heavily single threaded Apps and Console Game ports.
                Last edited by artivision; 23 October 2015, 01:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                  Huh? Did you read the graphs? Or look to see at the different generations of cards?
                  For example, the GTX 750 being faster than the GTX 970 in CS:GO.

Comment

Originally posted by xpander View Post
                    AMD drivers still terrible. people have been saying that they are improving for 5 years but seems nothing has changed

I've been using AMD cards since late 2009 and I guarantee, the drivers have improved a lot. Looking at the graphs, makes this a rather sad story D: At least right now I can play games smoothly and I'm satisfied as long I can do so. If I get 60fps at max (or nearly max) settings, I'm happy. If I don't get it, but a cheap NVidia card would get me there, I get mad.

Comment

Working...
                    X