Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opera 33 In Beta With Linux Proprietary Codecs Support

Phoronix: Opera 33 In Beta With Linux Proprietary Codecs Support

Opera made available a new beta update to their Opera 33 web-browser this week with some updated branding and other changes for Linux users...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I wonder why do they bother with Linux support?
    We already have 2 great open source browsers
    I like my freedom and my privacy so I have only 2 words for Opera: Go home!

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
      Opera in the past was always creating browsers for 'embedded' devices like game consoles.

Because they want their browser to work on many devices and operating systems and environments.

Why not port it to Linux, to show it runs on Windows, Linux and Mac already.

Also what you mentioned already applies to for example Windows as well: "We already have 2 great open source browsers".

I don't see why it's bad to have more choice, we don't have 10s of different browsers, so one more browser isn't a bad thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
        Troll, go home!

Of course competition is good, opera has been a "power user" browser and there definitely exist a niche for it, especially when firefox has made many bad decisions lately.

Comment

Originally posted by varikonniemi View Post

Troll, go home!

Of course competition is good, opera has been a "power user" browser and there definitely exist a niche for it, especially when firefox has made many bad decisions lately.
          Do you understand what you are saying? What competition?
          This thing is closed source, thus it will never get on my PC.

Comment

Proprietary browser with proprietary codecs? It's so 90-ish. Not to mention these days Opera happens to be just some mere proprietary skin for chromium. Power users? Maybe there was some typo? It clearly meant for power LOSERS. Who else would stick to proprietary crap in 2015 when there're plenty of opensource browsers, including Chromium and somesuch, using the very same engine core?

Comment

Opera simply offers me no advantage on Linux that I don't already have.

What does it give me? A Integrated IMAP Email Client? No.
              A rendering engine that's ahead of it's time? No.
              Plugins that I can't get on Firefox or Chromium? Nope.
              NextGen Tech only in Opera? Nope.

Nope Nope Nope

Comment

i usually use chrome.

Comment

firefox is the best

Comment

Well I'm still using it. This might explain why YouTube was still falling back to Flash on occasions. I'd only noticed it recently. I look forward to this update.

Comment

Working...
                    X