Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa 11.0.4 Is Scattered With Fixes

Phoronix: Mesa 11.0.4 Is Scattered With Fixes

For those not riding Mesa Git master for all of the latest open-source 3D driver functionality, Mesa 11.0.4 is now the latest stable release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

While most of us are concerned with catching up with the latest OpenGL version, I can't help but wonder... is there anybody dedicated to making sure Mesa (actual Mesa, not the drivers) is actually fast?

Comment

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post
      While most of us are concerned with catching up with the latest OpenGL version, I can't help but wonder... is there anybody dedicated to making sure Mesa (actual Mesa, not the drivers) is actually fast?
      I think Jerome Glisse looked into this some years ago.

Yeah, here you go

at least a 75% of the total overhead comes from below the mesa state tracker.
      Means Mesa does not matter that much, the interesting stuff happens in the drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by log0 View Post

I think Jerome Glisse looked into this some years ago.

Yeah, here you go

Means Mesa does not matter that much, the interesting stuff happens in the drivers.
        Mind you that mailing list thread was written 5 years ago. I'm not certain how much of those topics have been addressed. I'm sure bo overhead has been looked at many times since then.

Comment

Should I expect performance improvements from Mesa 11.0.4 for RadeonSI and AMD Bonnaire, or do I need Git master branch to be on the bleeding edge?
          In other words, does 11.0.4 include all improvements that were in Git master before, or only those considered stable?
          I guess the most performance improvements will come from switching to LLVM dev branch from LLVM 3.7.0 (as already mentioned, Mesa isn't everything), but I also care about stability.
          Last edited by ThrowAway3000; 25 October 2015, 12:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ThrowAway3000 View Post
            Should I expect performance improvements from Mesa 11.0.4 for RadeonSI and AMD Bonnaire, or do I need Git master branch to be on the bleeding edge?
            In other words, does 11.0.4 include all improvements that were in Git master before, or only those considered stable?
            I think Bonaire is GCN 1, which if true then I think you'll be fine sticking with whatever is stable. Although there are some newer games that won't run well or at all. Pretty much anything that requires GL4.2 and up will give you problems. There already are some fixes in git master to address some of those problems, but git is really a crap shoot, unless you already know specifically that it contains a fix you need then it may not be of any benefit to you.

EDIT: Really I'd say the best thing you can do is to make sure you have LLVM 3.7 installed, There are still some distro's releasing 3.6, which is wrong, just wrong.

EDIT: And of course if you are at all interested in contributing bug reports or fixes then by all means please use git and do whatever you can.
            Last edited by duby229; 25 October 2015, 01:05 PM.

Comment

My first real commit
              RBEU #1000000000 - Registered Bad English User

Comment

11.0.4 has just been released into Debian sid yesterday.
                Have upgraded and working fine on Intel HD.
                Nvidia driver is broken (did dist-upgrade), but should be fixed shortly I presume.

Comment

Working...
                X