Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora 23: KDE vs. Xfce vs. GNOME vs. LXDE vs. MATE

Phoronix: Fedora 23: KDE vs. Xfce vs. GNOME vs. LXDE vs. MATE

As mentioned earlier some benchmarks to share this weekend are comparing the out-of-the-box OpenGL graphics performance on Fedora 23 when running some benchmarks under KDE Plasma, Xfce, GNOME, LXDE, and MATE.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Would you mind retesting with the "unredirect and disable compositing when there's a fullscreen application running" features enabled in Plasma 5? It takes two mouse clicks in a config window.

Comment

Originally posted by axfelix View Post
      Would you mind retesting with the "unredirect and disable compositing when there's a fullscreen application running" features enabled in Plasma 5? It takes two mouse clicks in a config window.
      I think it is very fair to run the software as is. That's the defaults any user are going to get, than you test what the users are going to experience...
      What you are asking is not fair to the other ones. It's like you would have a performance test and your application runs faster because of aggressive caching(Chrome for example), you are satisfied with the result and then somebody has a memory test and sees that your application consumes a lot more memory and you ask them to disable caching and then compare...
      You decided to have that tradeoff, than it is absolutely fair to everybody else to run the defaults on everybody and not tune for each case separately...

Comment

- cancels Kubuntu 15.10 download -

Comment

lol . nice comment above. xfce FTW ! marco sucks . the best linux GUI - > numix themes/icons + ubuntu font with infinality + mate 1.10 running on top of xfwm4 with compositing

Comment

Are gnome-shell's fullscreen windows only redirected on Wayland, or on X11 too? Im wondering, since redirected windows are handled as the possible cause for kwin's slowdown.

Comment

Originally posted by sarfarazahmad View Post
              lol . nice comment above. xfce FTW ! marco sucks . the best linux GUI - > numix themes/icons + ubuntu font with infinality + mate 1.10 running on top of xfwm4 with compositing
              word ...almost same here: xfwm4 + mate 1.10 + numix dark theme, f-darkest icons, infinality without ubuntu font

Comment

Well in my case, I been swamping xfce and mate, until I found the sweet spot, anyway not bad combination mate with xfwm4, maybe in a future I will try that.

Comment

Originally posted by sarfarazahmad View Post
                  I run numix circle on plasma 5 and like it a lot. I do not have the feeling that plasma would be any slower than for example xfce.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
                    Phoronix: Fedora 23: KDE vs. Xfce vs. GNOME vs. LXDE vs. MATE

As mentioned earlier some benchmarks to share this weekend are comparing the out-of-the-box OpenGL graphics performance on Fedora 23 when running some benchmarks under KDE Plasma, Xfce, GNOME, LXDE, and MATE.

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=22304
                    Is Phoronix planning to benchmark KDE without desktop effects?

Comment

Working...
                    X