Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Years After Wayland 1.0, Will 2016 Be The Year Of The Wayland Desktop?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Years After Wayland 1.0, Will 2016 Be The Year Of The Wayland Desktop?

Phoronix: Years After Wayland 1.0, Will 2016 Be The Year Of The Wayland Desktop?

This past week marked three years since the release of Wayland 1.0 while finally next year it's looking like the Wayland-powered Linux desktop landscape could be much more complete...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

As long as the proprietary NVIDIA drivers are unable to use Wayland, I won't be able to use it on my desktop PC.

On my laptop running an Intel IGP the situation is different though - however Wayland is still pretty broken when it comes to hardware-accelerated video playback, at least from what I've experienced so far. Getting mpv to work with VAAPI under Wayland just ... wasn't possible, and without that I can't use it as the default display server. I'll just wait for things to mature a bit and then try again, the rest is getting better with every GNOME release already, so I'm looking forward to the future.

Comment

gnome wayland here is more laggy than X with my Intel HD 4600 in haswell laptop. Along with the xwayland applications, just moving windows around and minimize, maximize, activities animations overview are somewhat laggy than X.

Comment

I've been wanting to switch for a while but I'm waiting for KDE or LXQT to support it.

Comment

These things tends to take time, especially when it requires significant changes on the driver side. It seems that the hardware/driver guys are waiting sufficient demand, while users and developers are waiting for the drivers.
          I do hope that Wayland takes off, once Nvidia has drivers that works with it. My experience with Xorg, is that it's far too unstable, that I'd ever advise anyone that isn't comfortable with CLI, to use a Linux desktop. If wayland corrects that, and makes the window decorations look more alike across different programs, then the user experience would increase even more.
          I'm really looking forward to Wayland.

Comment

Originally posted by Weegee View Post
            however Wayland is still pretty broken when it comes to hardware-accelerated video playback, at least from what I've experienced so far. Getting mpv to work with VAAPI under Wayland just ... wasn't possible, and without that I can't use it as the default display server.
            You need mpv-git and mesa-11, and possibly libva-intel-driver-1.6, then "mpv --hwdec=vaapi --vo=opengl" will work under Wayland. Only that combo will work, a Wayland backend for the native VAAPI output (--vo=vaapi) hasn't been implemented yet. And only mesa-11 has the necessary EGL stuff. It's quite cool though, the VAAPI/EGL interop (which works under both X and Wayland) uses dma_buf to grab the media block buffer directly.

Comment

Years after Wayland 1.0, I'm still wondering what it brings to the table. Six or seven releases later, developer still don't seem to be all over Wayland and it's got no killer applications either. It feels like it's still struggling to get up to par with X. Whatever the case, it needs more time to grow.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                I've been wanting to switch for a while but I'm waiting for KDE or LXQT to support it.
                LXQT will probably use kwin_wayland as its compositor, so LXQT is ready when KDE is ready.

Comment

Mir in Ubuntu seems to be postponed for 2017 or later.

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
                    Mir in Ubuntu seems to be postponed for 2017 or later.

since ubuntu recommends proprietary drivers this is normal

Comment

Working...
                    X