No announcement yet.

Kubuntu 15.10 Gaming Impact With KDE Plasma 5 Compositing For R600 Gallium3D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kubuntu 15.10 Gaming Impact With KDE Plasma 5 Compositing For R600 Gallium3D

Phoronix: Kubuntu 15.10 Gaming Impact With KDE Plasma 5 Compositing For R600 Gallium3D

With yesterday's Fedora 23: KDE vs. Xfce vs. GNOME vs. LXDE vs. MATE article that looked at the OpenGL graphics impact of different desktop environments on the new Fedora Linux release, what most people were talking about were the KDE results...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Just a note: E5-2687W v3 has 10 cores (20 threads).

Comment

Unfortunately this option doesn't work when you have an Intel card (although most people won't play with intel cards). But what about optimus setups? The option can't be enabled either on these.

Comment

Originally posted by AnAkIn View Post
        But what about optimus setups? The option can't be enabled either on these.
        AFAIK DRI_PRIME doesn't work without compositing anyway.

Comment

Not that i use enlightenment but im really curious how it performs...

Comment

Thanks, Michael! Fwiw you shouldn't have to use the keyboard shortcut; there's a toggle in the compositor settings page to make this activate automatically. But I appreciate it!

Comment

Excellent test! Which font thou chosen form the video controller!? EGL wayland x11 !?

Comment

KDE was never stable for me. Even plasma, random bugs and that crash pops up.

Comment

So, the numbers are in line with the rest, albeit still a tad slower. Unfortunately, the small difference could simply be something different in Fedora vs Ubuntu base systems. So, it still isn't really giving a true comparison. I understand the reasoning for keeping the compositing the way the developers have it, but I disagree with it. I think most gamers (and people who read this) -- specifically linux gamers -- are savvy enough to make sure that compositing is turned off. Just my two cents.

Comment

I also had the same upgrade experience when switching from 15.04 to 15.10 with the taskbar acting up and Plasma crashing on my R9 290.

Comment

Working...
                    X