Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu Community Council + Kubuntu Issue Joint Statement

Phoronix: Ubuntu Community Council + Kubuntu Issue Joint Statement

Following Kubuntu release manager Jonathan Riddell leaving the project, the Ubuntu Communuity Council and Kubuntu have issued a joint statement...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Kubuntu continues as was expected

Comment

Yes, it seems they have agreed the public isn't to know what spurred Jonathan's leaving the project. That's some healthy community right there.

Comment

Here is Jon's response http://jriddell.org/2015/10/27/resolving-tension/

Comment

Originally posted by rtfazeberdee View Post
          Seems to me he overestimated his importance.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerberus View Post

Seems to me he overestimated his importance.
            Seems to me the councils favoured politics over technical abilities.
            I mean, if the only thing that was annoying about Jonathan were some questions, answer (or don't answer - that's an option, too). and move on. But getting hung up on someone asking questions to the point you don't want to work with the guy any more sounds very fishy to me.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

Seems to me the councils favoured politics over technical abilities.
              I mean, if the only thing that was annoying about Jonathan were some questions, answer (or don't answer - that's an option, too). and move on. But getting hung up on someone asking questions to the point you don't want to work with the guy any more sounds very fishy to me.
              Strange that only he complains, no one else from *buntu derivatives complained about Canonical bullying them, only he enlightens the masses, maybe the guy has a big ego, he got suspended from Kubuntu Council and then he decided to leave. Well good luck to him. He now moved away from evil Canonical and can pursue his happiness somewhere else.

Comment

Strange that only he complains, no one else from *buntu derivatives complained about Canonical bullying them, only he enlightens the masses, maybe the guy has a big ego, he got suspended from Kubuntu Council and then he decided to leave. Well good luck to him. He now moved away from evil Canonical and can pursue his happiness somewhere else.
                That's one way to look at it I suppose. But on the other hand if you are effectively fired because you point out something obviously wrong, doesn't that add up to two wrongs? What I'm saying is two wrongs don't make a right.

Comment

As far as I can tell, he had an issue regarding the licensing of the code and another one regarding funds distribution. That's that transpired, afaik, before the whole discussion was taken offline. That would explain why a single person was bullied. But I'm not going to pass any judgement, because I know I don't have all the facts.
                  What I do have an issue with, is the whole taking of the discussion offline and getting rid of a prominent contributor without a proper public motivation. It's their right to do it, but the practice itself stinks.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

As far as I can tell, he had an issue regarding the licensing of the code and another one regarding funds distribution. That's that transpired, afaik, before the whole discussion was taken offline. That would explain why a single person was bullied. But I'm not going to pass any judgement, because I know I don't have all the facts.
                    What I do have an issue with, is the whole taking of the discussion offline and getting rid of a prominent contributor without a proper public motivation. It's their right to do it, but the practice itself stinks.
                    https://www.fsf.org/news/canonical-u...icensing-terms

"
                    This update now makes Canonical's policy unequivocally comply with the terms of the GNU General Public License (GPL) and other free software licenses."

Licensing seems to be resolved with FSF months ago. Funding we dont have exact data, but if no one else has complained I doubt there is something wrong with it, and he didnt get suspended just because he asked those questions, he was suspended after making aggressive statements in various places, I believe he was warned several times before he got suspended, if I remember those discussions correctly Ubuntu Council people were fairly polite in those discussions. He wasnt kicked out completely, he was suspended from the Kubuntu Council for one year, he didnt like that and he left which is his right to do. All in all I think he overreacted and things got out of hand, he got suspended, didnt like it and left.

Comment

Working...
                    X